Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/18/justice-ruth-bader-ginsburg-dies-at-87.html

16 Likes

May our nation rise to become worthy of her time in it.

77 Likes

Oh shit.

61 Likes

Fucking brilliant.

Yeah, Mitch McConnell’s gonna be right on that.

Thanks @Hylyx, there it is:

President Trump has appointed two members of the Supreme Court, Justices Neil M. Gorsuch and Brett M. Kavanaugh. moving the court slightly to the right.

Slightly. Speaks volumes when a Nazi and a rapist only move the Supreme Court “slightly” to the right.

Edit: I’m sorry, but I have to go there.

“RBG” was 75 when Obama took office for the first time. Seventy-nine when he won his second term. But she didn’t retire, for what? For the joy of writing dissents?

We could be toasting the memory of a trailblazer and judicial titan, lamenting that neither she nor Thurgood Marshall ever held the Chief Justice position they so richly deserved, and waiting on the inevitable tear-jerker obituary written by the bright, passionate young justice who took her place.

I’m not toasting her. I can’t. I’m too terrified about the world my 4-year-old son is going to have to grow up in, a world spinning out of control and all because a bunch of selfish old fucks couldn’t stop and look at the world as it truly was, instead of the kumbaya bullshit world that made them feel good about themselves. Couldn’t fathom that sometimes they needed to make decisions for the benefit of people other than themselves.

Instead I’ll chew my dinner without tasting it, fumble through bedtime routine and stories like a zombie, and lie down in bed with eyes tight shut, meditating about nothingness because that is my only sanctuary and anxiously awaiting the oblivion of sleep.

71 Likes

RIP.

50 Likes

For so many varying reasons, this about sums it up:

40 Likes

Dear Justice Ginsburg,

Rest in power.

Thank you for your work.
We were lucky to have you.
Our nation and our world are better because of you and all who supported your work.

May we draw strength from your lived example.
May we work to make your last wish come true.
May your name and your memory be a blessing.
May we see your work continue as the young succeed us.

Your work in justice is a thing of wonder, and in our current epoch, miraculous.

–the people of the United States of America

On how she’d like to be remembered

“Someone who used whatever talent she had to do her work to the very best of her ability. And to help repair tears in her society, to make things a little better through the use of whatever ability she has. To do something, as my colleague David Souter would say, outside myself. ‘Cause I’ve gotten much more satisfaction for the things that I’ve done for which I was not paid.”

— From an interview with MSNBC

33 Likes

Mine too. Thank you for serving us as long as you did.

44 Likes

51 Likes

Some of the worst news of this disgustingly horrible year. 2nd to Covid itself, maybe 3rd to wildfires. What worse has happened this year,I can’t even think straight right now

24 Likes

i know she must have tried to hang on as long as she could, but dammit, we’re so screwed. i am in favor of using every delaying tactic possible to keep trump and the GOP from seating another justice.

41 Likes

I’d suggest “‘x’ in Yemen”, but… yeah.

6 Likes
26 Likes

Oh no!
This shit just keeps getting worse & worse…
Well, this gives Moscow Mitch all weekend to figure out who to install; like he gives a damn about her final wishes.
“Justice” Ted Cruz, anyone?
Or how about “Justice” Tom Cotton?
Pretty sure those boys have presidential aspirations, so they will probably decline the offer.

Gods, I hate this time-line. At least the Liquor Store hasn’t closed yet.

21 Likes

Profoundly sad tonight. Sad for my country’s future. Sad for what may happen in the next months. Sad because I see no way the GOP does not act with the rankest hypocrisy in their response to this news.

But mostly sad that we have lost such a champion of equal rights and progress for humanity. I’ve been privileged to be alive when she was nominated and became a Supreme Court justice, and she gave us her all in service to this country. She has been amazing, and an inspiration.

Tonight we mourn.

Tomorrow we fight on.

44 Likes

Under other circumstances, this would be an occasion for people to spend a couple of days remembering the life of an admirable person who rose to be appointed to the Supreme Court (on merit).

Under the present circumstances, she’ll get maybe 45 minutes total. So hopefully we can all make the most of it before moving on to the disgusting, inevitable next phase.

30 Likes

I am too. Sadly, I think most of them are gone. I think Trump can nominate and McConnell can force the vote when he likes, as there isn’t a filibuster for judicial nominees.

OTOH: if they run roughshod over the “McConnell Rule”, it’s going to make the fuckery from 2016 look even worse, and it’s going to energize blue voters. I think at that point there will be political capital for bumping the court to 11-15 members and adding a term length (say, 12 years).

27 Likes

40 Likes

This is the only way to course correct this nation. At this point we are fucked for another generation. DC and Puerto Rico statehood, bipartisan redistricting rules and the express elimination of the unitary executive theory.

20 Likes

Mitch McConnell has taken a strong stance against the sitting president getting to make an appointment this close to an election. Of course he’s a whiny bitch and he’ll have all sorts of reasons why that won’t apply in this case. Asshole.

25 Likes