Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

He’s already reversed that just in case.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/politics/mcconnell-supreme-court-vacancy/index.html

20 Likes

Fixed term length (anything up to 25 years, really) would be a good idea. The problem with adding additional justices is that it’s a weapon that could be used by either party. If Dems increase the count from 9 to 11 while they control the Senate, Republicans will go to 13 as soon as they take it back, and so on.

13 Likes

Court stacking, President Biden; you better commit to it, but do that after the election.

7 Likes

That is the only way to save the country, but we have got to take the Senate in convincing fashion to do it.

14 Likes

I’ve thought about that a lot and honestly, I’m fine with that. Having a 9 person panel decide such important issues is a fucking idiotic plan. A broader pool of justices might actually bring something closer to actually resembling the American population.

14 Likes

That is definitely a risk. The hope is that they won’t really have political capital for it and that this iteration of the republican party has fucked itself hard enough that they will be out of power for a long time and that their new coalition won’t have a chip on its shoulder over this.

Edit to add: the lost cause is definitely reason to believe they will never drop it, but that is only if the lost causers stay in the coalition.

11 Likes

I don’t believe the Rs will hold back on court packing because we do. They care about power, rule of law is a convenient fig leaf that they are OK doing without when necessary.

24 Likes

Even if the wish list were shredded at this point, it still might not be enough. There still is hope…

6 Likes

They haven’t done it yet, but maybe they’re just biding their time.

One thing is for certain; no matter which party pulls the trigger first that’s a genie that ain’t going back in the bottle.

10 Likes

They haven’t needed to. Even if some freak accident (incident?) puts Biden in a position to just re-stock the court with progressive justices up to the existing 9, that will be their signal to agitate for expanding the court.

13 Likes

Fine. So let’s make sure they don’t take it back. They need to be relegated to a whiny minority in perpetuity.

10 Likes

I’m in a state with 2 republican senators. They will be hearing from me a lot about this. I don’t think it could do any good with Cruz or Cornyn, but it only takes 2. If you have a republican senator, blow up their office phones

21 Likes

Of course he would. Let’s prosecute him for treason.

5 Likes

It’s been done before. But things are very polarized right now. But demographic shifts. I don’t know. I’m not sure it’s as big a Pandora’s box as it looks. Particularly with terms, which means most presidents get to shape the court significantly.

8 Likes

I get the impression that they haven’t been happy with the makeup they have so far.

7 Likes

What a FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT HE IS.

14 Likes

Segregation, here we come!

8 Likes

There is an argument that only one seat was stolen. A civic minded justice could resign and correct it. A stitch in time saves nine.

I’m not holding my breath for that.

9 Likes

25 Likes

Sorry to break it to you.

1 Like