Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

The evil turtle couldn’t even wait an hour to say he’s bringing a full vote.

27 Likes

NHC ran out of names and is now two storms into the Greek alphabet. This fuckin year.

14 Likes

Aaaaaand… it’s official.

ETA: Beat me to it, @Hylyx.

13 Likes

Almost seems as though he had it all prepared. What a dick.

20 Likes
8 Likes

The problem is, it’s the civic minded ones we need!

16 Likes

there’s no if. that rule was only for black presidents

24 Likes

Cruel irony was seeing blue skies and being able to breath (relatively) clean air again in my corner of the west coast today only to hear news of RBG’s passing 20 minutes later. Fuck this year.

20 Likes

He’s probably had that statement queued for months, just waiting excitedly for the time he could send it. Fucking ghoul, combining a eulogy with a nakedly political statement.

27 Likes

RIP RBG but she should retired 7 years ago when we had an easy path to replace her. jfc, these old people, retire. Let another mofo’er have a chance at the job.

7 Likes

The Elton John in the background.

i give up

5 Likes

[edit: removed ad hom] She has done more good in her so-called retirement years than most of us combined will do in our entire lifetimes. Ageist statements like that don’t help anyone.

31 Likes

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!

ok. that about sums it up.

Also, Boingers in other countries that aren’t too cold, are you folks accepting political refugees at this time? Sadly, pending Nov., there may be a time when it’s an entirely reasonable option to emigrate.

15 Likes

100% this.

2 Likes

38 Likes

Disagree. A SCOTUS justice shouldn’t be pressured to make professional decisions—even the decision about when to retire—based on partisan considerations.

It wasn’t RGB’s responsibility to step aside while Democrats controlled the White House. It was the voters’ responsibility to make sure they didn’t elect a President who was manifestly unfit to hold the office.

Ginsburg did her job. It’s the rest of the country who fucked up.

43 Likes

Obviously, this is a political shitshow-voting Trump out of office can’t begin to mitigate the worst of the damage he has wrought.

But yikes, what a profoundly cruel system it is, that appoints these people for life, forcing their last moments to be thinking about political machinations rather than simply saying goodbye to their families. Conservative, Liberal, a government appointment should not be for one’s lifetime. We need to stop using 18th century politics to address 21st century problems.

10 Likes

They’re allowed to retire if they want to. Sandra Day O’Connor, Anthony Kennedy, and David Souter are all still around.

I do agree that a single fixed term rather than a lifetime appointment would have some advantages though.

17 Likes

Man, I’d love to live in that world.

This is exactly the sort of thinking that has given us Biden as a presidential candidate.

6 Likes

Nor would it have mattered if she had. The Republicans were willing to hold a seat on the Supreme Court open for all of Clinton’s presidency had she won in 2016. They would have screamed bloody murder if anyone even half as progressive as her had been nominated in her shadow, and they had the control of the Senate for almost all of Obama’s terms in office.

16 Likes