Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

Then think of RGB as a justice who was principled enough not to let partisan considerations force her into retirement before she felt ready.

14 Likes

Guaranteed they rush to fill the spot as fast as possible. And if anyone points out their own claim from just a few years ago that you shouldn’t fill a vacancy “in an election year” you know it’s be a combination of amnesia, excuses and nonsense about how it’s somehow different this time.

12 Likes

I know it’s silly to quibble, but I am so freaked out… I think for the long term, it’s #1, and I live 60 miles straight downwind from the worst fires in Oregon (it rained a bit today!!)

9 Likes

Great. I’m sure the great sky-wizard is deeply impressed, and my son is fucked.

2 Likes

Obama appointed two Supreme Court justices.

2 Likes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/18/ruth-bader-ginsburg-dead-at-87.html

6 Likes

Here, I’ll start.

57 Likes

Well, I was starting to feel better today.

Thanks, universe.

20 Likes

This is all I could think of, as well. @Brainspore nailed it, though:

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87 - #2 by Brainspore

27 Likes

This sucks. Hard. This is scary. Super scary.

But we must NOT lose our will.

We’ve come to far to lose hope when a good leader falls.

Hammer harder than ever on people to vote.

It is up to us.

We Can Do This.
We WILL Do This.
WE MUST DO THIS.

rip queen

30 Likes

…and with her the independent judiciary in the U.S. She was a towering figure, all the more so because she tried to hold out as long as she could in defense of liberal democracy. RIP, RBG.

24 Likes

Refresh my memory, can they force it through with a Democratic majority in the House?

1 Like

Yes. The House has nothing to do with SCOTUS nominations.

28 Likes

Well fuck.

16 Likes

In fact, they don’t have to force anything. I don’t believe that even Dem Senators have a bit of power. Paging Susan Collins… this may be your last chance to save your ass.

10 Likes
3 Likes

200 (4)

19 Likes

This makes it official; 2020 is the suckiest year it has ever been my displeasure to live through.
@sgtcrispy You said it! RIP RGB.

16 Likes

I don’t live in Maine and Stephen King would probably kill me for saying this, but…If Susan Collins would vote against filling the seat, I would encourage Mainers to vote for Susan Collins. For the record, I have donated to Collins’ opponent.

2 Likes

Yep. Hopefully she’s reading the polls and realizes that being a sycophant to the hate-wing has gotten her nowhere. Otoh, I’m not holding out any hope (cause she’s an ass).

9 Likes