Dear fellow zillionaires: they're coming for us with pitchforks

The only problem is, who’s gonna start? Remember when we do Donald Trump to hold up his head by the comb-over so we all get a good look.

1 Like

Enjoy your sushi and high speed internet my friends, the Great Decline is not going to affect anyone reading this: sure, terrible things might happen to YOU dear reader…I for one hope not, though eventually, of course, we all will die. But until then: unless you have a personal tragedy or live in a war zone…things are not nearly as bad as they could be.

But someday, far in the future…but not far at all in terms of human evolution: things will get very, very bad. Again: not for you, not for your kids…they might cry more and live with you longer, but with fracking and economic/military might: things are looking up for the northern part of the eastern and western hemisphere(s).

Until…the day it isn’t cool anymore. The blatant theft becomes too obvious, the political machinations too transparent…the ‘bread’ too expensive and the circuses finally too jejune.

That far future day…let the flippant rich shudder, and the middling folk band together: but one thing is sure…sure as the economic system that has brought us to this point in history:

The 1% can always pay and equip a willing 10% to shoot down any and all…but when the huge majority SHOULD rise up…history shows they don’t just stop at the homes of the oppressors.

If you read this far, keep in mind; whatever your situation…you are the 1% to someone on this planet. Lest the torches get too hot…

I’ve signed up to one of those “Purchase-a-Pitchfork” Plans. A few years and I’ll have enough to join the revolution; social or agrarian.

5 Likes

I’ve been saying for the past five years that the very wealthy have a choice between 1933 and 1793, and it looks like they’re going for 1793.

Maybe Hanauer can convince them that they’re better off with the American option than with the French one.

4 Likes

The smart zillionares start selling pitchforks.

2 Likes

Yes, this is like the Libertarian ideal that “all these dang laws are keeping me from making a million!” which is countered by his quote “capitalism left unchecked tends toward concentration and collapse”-- taking away a lot of rules and regulations makes it easier for some people to get rich, but it also makes it easier for a lot of people to get swindled/robbed. Americans just assume they will be on the winning side of that exchange.

3 Likes

indeed - the internet has both over-exposed the inequality or wealth distribution (though its nothing new), and created a buffer for the angst it should create, that is, comment sections. this wave is now passing - I comment WAY less now, after realizing what I was being “allowed” to do (sure even the CBC, Canada’s state funded broadcaster has altered their commenting rules, and have frequently disallowed my comments which were wll part of the arguments at stake - and the tax dollars pay for it! ) and I’m betting it becomes internal wars of the poor folks before it’s pitchforks for the ‘untouchable’ zillionaires. interesting how that term changed from it’s meaning in India - I mean, how the hell are we ever going to get at them with a pitchfork? or anything?

There is a moment of concentrating influences taking place. Even private equity players are complaining about the investment money concentrating in a very few hands.

People do think they’ll make it rich, and that provides a veil between them and the realisation that they’re likely being stiffed by the overall system.

This guy is right. Whatever else is going on, history shows that when people individually and spontaneously get sick of concentrations of wealth and income, they respond rapidly and barbarically.

The factor that seems to drive the rhythm of wealth accumulation concentrate seems to be the “lording it over” gene. Some people just desperately want to be the biggest money person in the room.

2 Likes

Here we go - the Lorenz curve tells it all:

I think this is a lie that Americans tell themself to feel good. I can’t recall coming across any American who wasn’t left wing (i.e. not Democrat) who described themself as working class. I expect the blacks swans to turn up now, but it doesn’t change that it is not a common self description

I personally don’t believe in a middle class, Instead I believe there is a working class who need to sell their labour to maintain a comfortable life (a lot do not succeed and some end up on welfare) and those who can live comfortably by the labour of others.

Unfortunately I think you are right. I have even less in common with Ukip than I do with the hated Labour/Conservative/Liberal Democrat parties, and Ukip seem to be the protest voters choice in the UK right now.

This Nick Hanauer fellow sounds like he has a modicum of sense and compassion.

2 Likes

The problem is this, like most things, is not a black and white issue. I’m not considered a Libertarian in many circles because while I believe in Capitalism and a free market, I also think it requires some regulation, as Capitalism involves people who tend to be greedy, unscrupulous assholes at times.

So while there are some laws that I think hinder things, we for sure need some regulation and oversight to prevent abuse and fraud. Whats worse is when we have crony capitalism, having companies game the system to their advantage. Unfortunately pointing these realities out makes me a commie in some peoples eyes.

1 Like

From the link:

"If any of us had been born in Somalia or the Congo, all we'd be is some guy standing barefoot next to a dirt road selling fruit. It's not that Somalia and Congo don't have good entrepreneurs. It's just that the best ones are selling their wares off crates by the side of the road because that's all their customers can afford."

That’s some of the best insight I’ve ever read from a “zillionaire”.

5 Likes

No offence, but I really don’t want to meet anyone who thinks you’re a commie :wink:

Stick around here - we’ll keep thinking of you as a libertarian. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also support state-sponsored education, funding arts and sciences, and think that paying taxes is part of living in a civilized society, which made me a thief.

I find the far right as distasteful as the far left. And while I like the idea of libertarian values (and at one point didn’t understand why some people were so down on them), there are some Libertarians who are extremely annoying with their untempered extremism.

2 Likes

Conservatives are just that - conservative. They get something working the way that suits them, then they want to conserve it.

Anything or anyone that seeks to upset their balance in even the most minor way gets painted with silly epithets that seek to radicalise their views and minimise their influence.

To be a true conservative, I think there’s an element of psychosis involved. You have to wilfully ignore the plight of people all around you.

5 Likes

Honestly, I used to think Libertarian meant economically conservative and socially liberal, and for a long time that described me.

Moving to the US has moved me further left on both scales…

3 Likes

part of the reason the american revolution worked was because the goals of 1%ers like washington and jefferson aligned with the goals of the lower classes. ( and, because some of the institutional structures of town and cityships could continue on as is.)

now, those goals are at odds. ( and, the revolution of pitchforks seems to be about tearing the old institutions down. )

1 Like

You could consider a lot of the British loyalists, aristocracy and government some pretty big 1%rs as well though.