Death threats drive Anita Sarkeesian from her home

I got an email with this response. I would go back and see if I said any of the things you’ve said “you guys” have done, but as great as Discourse is, it makes it a bit of a PITA to do so. That also means it’s a bit of a PITA to see if I actually referred to her merely as Anita. I didn’t find that, don’t care to take the time to find it, but if you wish to cite it, please do. I can tell you, however, that within the past couple of days on the BoingBoing BBS, I referred to Cory Doctorow as “Cory” and Mark Frauenfelder as “Mark”.

Aside from that, I have been told by Falcor to knock it off for jumping into the side discussion on Selective Service, so I have to stop. I’m assuming you’re still allowed to continue to cram words in my mouth, keep arguing against a strawman, and so forth. Even without that, now that you have conveniently “othered” me for the offense of not agreeing with Anita Sarkeesian 100%–which, aside from making the mistake of jumping into the Selective Service debate, was the main thing I was arguing, that it should be possible to state disagreement without being “you guys”–I’m done anyway because all rational discourse is of course over. Cheers! Have a great day and have fun!

In fairness, I should have tagged @Jorpho in my reply as well; yours was the most recent and handy.

However, taking your baseball glove and going home seems a bit of an over-reaction. Yes, de-railing about the draft is unhelpful here. If you’d like to discuss the draft, start a thread on it! I may disappoint you by telling you this, but I doubt you’ll get any responses from feminists saying “the selective service registry should stay as it is” - I would put at least $50 on the responses from feminists falling into either the “if anyone should have to register, everyone should have to register” or “we should eliminate registration entirely” camps. The only people I see arguing for sending men to war but not women tend to be men who think women should be “protected from combat.” (True story: in college, a guy taking Women’s Studies 101 with me had just had to register, so a bunch of us decided to go try to register in solidarity and protest. The Post Office clerk wouldn’t give us the forms.)

All I’m saying is that this “I bet ___ also gets harassed” and “I heard that ____ got a death threat” speculation is deeply irrelevant bordering on the fantastical, and is essentially another way of avoiding talking about the actual subject here, which is the way Sarkeesian and other women get abused and bullied and tormented for daring to be Women With Opinions Online.

4 Likes

I have been warned not to discuss this.

Period. End of discussion (because I don’t want to get banned.)

Having said that, I was arguing against people saying things like that it doesn’t matter because it’s not enforced, and that it’s okay because historically women have been totally reliant upon men so they’re the real victims and I don’t even know why this was a line of argument because it’s a tangent from a tangent and not really relevant for 21st Century America and I’m done I swear this time I really am Falcor… ;-(

Anyways, if you go back, I think you’ll find that we’re not terribly far out of agreement; especially since women can enter combat now, it’s really stupid to keep it segregated.

But yeah, after this, I think I’ll take my ball and go home. There’s really nothing to discuss because rape and death threats are wrong and people like me would like to be able to critically discuss finer points of the FF videos without people derailing us by lumping us in with the dudebro gamers, but apparently that’s not possible. Such is life.

Well, I don’t want you to get eaten by a Luck Dragon. You’re right that we agree on the issue of combat in any case. :smile:

[quote=“Elusis, post:243, topic:39970”]All I’m saying is that this “I bet ___ also gets harassed” and “I heard that ____ got a death threat” speculation is deeply irrelevant bordering on the fantastical, and is essentially another way of avoiding talking about the actual subject here, which is the way Sarkeesian and other women get abused and bullied and tormented for daring to be Women With Opinions Online.[/quote]I thought the actual subject was that the gaming world in particular was somehow uniquely riddled with misogynistic violence and that this violence reflects a real-world misogyny uniquely rampant within the gaming world. You know, like it says in the OP.

Perhaps another read-through would help you more accurately discern the point, then. I am fairly sure that wild conjecturing about whether men and conservative women are treated similarly is not actually OT.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.