DragonCon cosplayers who dressed up as Marriott carpet get a cease-and-desist for their fabric offering

Volpin wasn’t directly selling the pattern. They did studies of the carpet pattern, digitally recreated it, and had a 3rd party vendor make fabric with the pattern to use for their costumes. they then shared their source files and provided information to the vendor so people could make their own. They and the vendor got the C&D’s as I understand it.

but its not like there was any real profit motive in this for Volpin & Crew… they were attempting to share their creativity with the fan community at large, an attitude that should be welcome in any collective IMO.

regarding DragonCon and those being dickish about things…

Dragon Con has grown so large, it now occupies 5 primary hotels, as well as multiple overflow hotels. The Marriott Marquis @Peachtree, whose carpet pattern is in the subject here, actually spent 2+ years and a ton of cash redesigning and rebuilding their lower levels so that they could better meet the needs of the annual DragonCon event. If there were no money involved, I’d hardly think they’d have bothered.

2 Likes

I have my own theory as to why you might have stopped gaming.

1 Like

As it happens what you have said is entirely false. You have no obligation to “enforce” your copyright. And there are numerous things I can use copyrighted material for without payment or permission. Those things are called fair use.

The Atlanta Marriott is hardly “luxury.” And I haven’t noticed con attendees being slovenly, penniless or dirty. The hotel industry is about “heads in beds.” That’s what pays the bills. Cons ensure sold out properties, and hotels love that.

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s the issue of the camouflage suits that resulted in the C&D. But rather, carpet pattern/design being sold on fabric. If they were just selling camouflage suits with the carpet pattern, they would certainly have a case for a derivative work. But just selling fabric with the same pattern as the carpet is pretty much straight up copying.

You need permission to make derivative works. Yes, derivative works can have independent copyrights, but they can’t be made at all without permission of the author whose work they are derived from. If you didn’t need this permission pretty much everyone would make their own sequels to Star Wars, etc.

Unless a derivative is considered fair use (USA), or parody (UK). Your durisdiction may differ.

As mentioned above me, you could possibly make an argument for fair use in the case of the camo outfits, due to the transformitive nature of their use of the original copyrighted work. I think it might be a struggle to argue that this was a parody, but there’s definitely transformitiveness involved here, it’s not just a simple copy (in the case of the camo outfits only - in the case of selling the pattern on fabric to MAKE camo outfits? That’s pretty clear cut, I think). But IANAIPL.

“A” derivative is not generally considered fair use. This particular derivative may be fair use, as WearySky suggests below (above?), but this doesn’t seem like a slam-dunk proposition and when combined with the cost of litigation it probably doesn’t make much sense to pursue this line of defense.

And remember, Fair Use is an affirmative defense to copyright infringement: this is important because it places the burden on the defendant to show that the infringement should be excused by the Fair Use doctrine, which is a reversal of the usual burden placed on the plaintiff (of course, the plaintiff still has the burden of showing prima facie copyright infringement, which would seem to be fairly easy under these facts).

1 Like

I believe my point still stands as I don’t believe these guys simply took a photograph of the design and printed it on material: I believe they have manipulated the graphics to make a ‘camo’ form of the carpet. Just like it would be nonsense for the army’s camo to receive a C&D from a forest for prior art. The guys are selling material, the carpet dbags are selling carpet. This product adds value to the original and could not be misconstrued or confused in the marketplace for the original.

And no @bwv812: courts decide if a work is too derivative. There’s no hard and fast rule and anyone who thinks they’re making anything original is kidding themselves anyway. Everything has prior art. Everything.

@bwv812 I apologise: my understanding of the specific legal language is obviously lacking, but I’m still not sure your example with star wars is entirely relevant. In that case you’re talking about characters and in this case we’re talking about patterns and colours. Yes, if there guys were selling a facsimile or a scaled facsimile of the carpet I think the carpet manufacturers have a case but if it’s a jumbled ‘camo’ version I think their recontexturalisation would fall within the grounds of fair use. Of course the carpet manufacturer’s highly paid lawyers would disagree.

Shepherd Fairey’s use of the AP photo to produce the HOPE poster is a pretty good example of a case where a court determined that a work was too derivative. Again, I apologise for my layperson’s understanding of legal jargon.

Copyright law is not trademark law, nor is it patent law. “Prior art” is relevant to patent law (which essentially protects novel ideas/inventions and/or ways of doing things), but not relevant to copyright law (which protects a particular expression of ideas, but not the underlying ideas). “Confus[ion] in the marketplace” is relevant to trademark law (which protects brands and branding) but not copyright law.

Selling a Star Wars toy adds value to the movie, and toys are not misconstrued or confused in the marketplace with the movie—nobody goes out to buy/see the movie and accidentally buys the toy instead. That doesn’t mean I can make my own Star Wars toys, because both copyright (in the expression of the Star Wars characters, such as the outfit and appearance of Han Solo) and trademark (in the “Star Wars” brand) would protect them. Patent law, on the other hand, would likely not protect them.

Also, show me a court case where they decide if something is “too derivative.” Actually, first define what you mean by “too derivative,” because it’s not clear to me what you’re saying.

EDIT:
Derivative works are, as the name implies, derived from something. If that something is under copyright (i.e., hasn’t yet fallen into public domain), then you generally need permission to make a derivative work (though a Fair Use defense is always possible). The author of the derivative work then gets her own copyright in her independent contributions to the derivative work, but the original author retains her copyright. So JK Rowling has copyright in Harry Potter and her characters, and Warner Bros. needed her permission in order to make the movies. Warner Bros. gets copyright in their original contributions as seen in the film, but JK Rowling retains copyright in her characters.

Note that if you’re arguing that something is a derivative work, you’re essentially conceding that there has been copying of the original work in some way. The copying doesn’t have to be verbatim, and simply changing the physical medium—be it from books to film, or carpet to camouflage—doesn’t mean that there is no copying. The basic test for whether there is copying is known as “substantial similarity.” Here are a couple of examples to illustrate how broad the substantial similarity test may be, as in both cases courts have found there was copying:

Also, in the Shephard Fairey suit, the question essentially wasn’t whether the poster was “too derivative,” but whether there was any copying of the plaintiff’s photograph at all. Fairey’s initial defense was that his poster was not based on the AP (i.e., plaintiff’s) photograph but on another photograph. It turned out the Fairey not only had been lying about this, but had destroyed evidence that would have showed he had copied the AP photograph; when this was disclosed the case was settled without trial.

Well, I guess we would have to see the actual “camo” pattern that they derived, and see how different it looks on a flat piece of fabric as compared the the carpet itself, to determine just how derivative of a camo pattern it really is.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.