Dropping Dropbox - what's a replacement?

Nope.

4 Likes

Where it gets used here is with apps that support it and it alone for cloudy storage. Or the ā€œhey look at this jpgā€ link when I donā€™t want to bother with uploading something somewhere. And for that, it doesnā€™t bother me that CR is on the BOD.

(I tried Mailbox on my iPhone, I donā€™t like ā€œemail as to-do listā€ as an operating model or way of thinking. But I hate Gmailā€™s web client, so yā€™all can get off my yard.)

This isnā€™t just an appointment thatā€™s unpopular with the Chardonnay-sipping, chin-stroking, liberal elite, this is a top level surveillance advocate in a senior role for a file sharing system. Do the fucking math.

12 Likes

Another vote for for ownCloud. Implemented this with a former employer who needed a Dropbox-like solution that didnā€™t rely on a third party. Was a big win, given our security requirements.

3 Likes

Not me.

6 Likes

How come? Iā€™m happy with it, but Iā€™m not heavily invested yet and if there is sucking to be discovered Iā€™d like to know about it!

2 Likes

I find the different services have different strengths.
For sharing stuff with other people, I use Google Docs/Drive, because everyone has a Google account.
For keeping an off-site backup of sensitive personal info, I use SpiderOak, because of the encryption.
For moving/syncing data between my own devices, I use BitTorrent Sync, because itā€™s fast, easy and doesnā€™t use much battery.

I have a bunch of space on Box, but their lack of Linux compatibility and complicated web UI mean I donā€™t use it much.
I havenā€™t tried my Copy account.
AeroFS is basically like BitTorrent Sync, except even less likely to go open source.

2 Likes

Donā€™t be so touchy, Mark. Where was all this outrage when Facebook hired Hitler? When MySpace brought on Milosovic?

2 Likes

You must not like the idea of freedom.

Actually, Iā€™m more curious to know if any other Bush-era heavy-hitters have landed in tech, and if they do and weā€™ve ignored them, what that would imply.

To be honest, even as a stay-at-home dad Iā€™m too lazy/short on time to look into that. Maybe if someone was paying me to research it, I would care.

I meanā€¦even though I know supporting Republicans isnā€™t as big a deal as being actively involved in the Iraq War, but I donā€™t recall ever seeing multiple ā€œwhat can I replace MS Office withā€ posts when Ballmer worked on Bushā€™s re-election campaign. And people donā€™t seem to know much about the history of Mozilla if they think the most reprehensible thing that ever came out of that was a contribution to a Prop 8 cause (just donā€™t look into those Netscape founders unless you want to seethe. Just donā€™t.) Better ditch those MacBooks, too, because they use Intel hardware; youā€™re indirectly supporting the madness sweeping the nation by buying Intel. Better close that Facebook account, too.

Come to that, as much as some Boingers seem to hate libertarians, it might be time to shut down BoingBoing and become hermits, because thereā€™s no way to avoid them. But I knew that after seeing all the posts about how much Iā€™m supposed to hate techies for ruining San Francisco.

I know, I get it, thereā€™s a difference between merely supporting the cause, and playing an active roleā€¦but Condaleeza is different from those guys in another significant way.

Now, having said all that, I used Dropbox for a while, and decided to use Unison for the things I donā€™t need version control on, and Git Annex for the things I do. Itā€™s not perfect, but Iā€™d rather sync manually tbh.

Got some apps that use Dropbox so I canā€™t drop it completely. However, I use Box, Google Drive and one called Copy for cloud storage. Not to mention I have Apple and Amazon space as well. I shouldnā€™t have to use Dropbox for anything major.

At the tech startup for which I work, BitTorrent Sync is the clear winner. So long as two or more of us are connected to the internet simultaneously (always the case), the experience is wonderful.

1. Sharing a folder with someone is as simple as sharing a 33 character alphanumeric key with them (via email, phone, or carrier pigeon). No account necessary.
  2. There are two types of keys you can share: full access and read-only
  3. If a client on your internal network already has what you need, you get it hella fast
  4. Transfers are encrypted
  5. Your data is never stored with a third party
  6. Itā€™s free to use
  7. Storage space is limited only by the amount of free space on your hard drive.
3 Likes

Iā€™ve been pretty happy with SpiderOak. Their Linux client has been great. Only problem Iā€™ve had is that their Android client is rather underwhelming.

1 Like

Really? Did Whitman or Fiorina endorse strapping prisoners to a table and torturing them? Or help George Bush increase government secrecy?

7 Likes

Just to echo the previous reply, could you please elaborate, we are looking at using Google Drive for off site back up.

Iā€™ll happily let all of them sell me the rope to hang them with, but I donā€™t want them putting that same rope around my own neck.

Glad youā€™ve taken a stand Mark. Very cool. IF enough folks drop dropbox, assuredly theyā€™ll cashier Rice. This kind of economic activism can have real results.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been very happy with sugarsync. I still use DropBox for syncing 1password. Other than that, sugarsync does everything I wantā€¦ plus, no former Bush staff members (that Iā€™m aware of).

2 Likes

Sort of, I believe Meg Whitman likes to shove people around, literally. Some kind of fat aggression. Probably a thyroid problem. Theyā€™re both hard core conservative republicans, as well as bipolar lunatics who think they can buy their way into power. I write this on an HP laptop. (Fiorina and Whitman both run HP). Note that HP was created by, and is largely funded by government contracts.

Condoleeza Rice is a genius compared to these two, Iā€™m a Clinton/Truman style Democrat, so Iā€™m far from objective. However, Rice has exhibited several signs of intelligence: Musical ability, Meritocratic accomplishment,etc. It appears that she was turned by dark side however, note that Colin Powell quit these same people.

1 Like

Another recommendation for Synology and Cloud Station. Cloud Station will sync on all of my devices. It keeps your data at home/work, rather than in the hands of third parties. It has a wonderful UI. And it can do so many other things: RAID, VPN, HTTPD, FTPD, Git, media server, mail server, etc.

1 Like