Exclusive cover reveal for forthcoming Neal Stephenson novel, Seveneves

[Permalink]

Always interesting which books they highlight. They missed Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, The Baroque Cycle, and In the Beginning was the Commandline. All of which I enjoyed more than Anathem. (Although I really liked Cryptonomicon)

Brought to you by Nespresso!

Missed a trick by not making it an ambigram.

This sounds interesting, but I am disappointed it’s another giant doorstop. I much prefer his earlier stuff.

2 Likes

Yeah, the holy trinity of Stephenson, IMO, are Snow Crash, Diamond Age, and Cryptonomicon.

And I still want my Snowcrash movie!

1 Like

Perhaps the relevant question is, for any given author A, which of A’s books were #1 on the NYT’s best selling lists?

I liked Anathem.

1 Like

This bad boy is gonna be over 1,000 pages. Sweet!

IIRC, it was originally supposed to be a graphic novel - I still think that’d be pretty neat. Especially now that Mature GNs have a life at Image, they wouldn’t have to cut anything (other than for adaptation). It’d probably also make a pretty awesome anime and an OK live action movie. Maybe better as an HBO show - same with The Diamond Age. That way they can take is slowly like ASOIAF instead of ripping stuff out to make it 1.5 hrs for a movie.

1 Like

I still haven’t gotten around to finishing Anathem. I got about 150 pages in and I was bored, so I put it down and never picked it up. Reamde, on the other hand, I quite enjoyed.

Yes, an anime Snow Crash would be great, as would a long-form live action. Same for Diamond Age.

I wonder if they could get Benedict Cumberbatch to play Turing again for Cryptonomicon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still haven’t gotten around to finishing Anathem. I got about 150 pages in and I was bored, so I put it down and never picked it up. Reamde, on the other hand, I quite enjoyed.

The reverse here - I thought Anathem was magnificent, but Reamde very nearly stopped me reading Stephenson.

2 Likes

Uh oh…
Snow Crash, Diamond Age and the Baroque Cycle made Neal my absolute favourite author, but Anathem was a better concept than a book, and Reamde was grossly overlong. All IMO, of course, but it means I’m slightly dreading the new one.

Ooooooo, I can’t wait until this comes out! This will probably be the only novel I purchase this year.

1 Like

Will only buy if Enoch Root is still alive…

7 Likes

I totally get that

I did the same thing twice. Third time through I pushed through and was glad to have done it. The book is amazing despite the languid start.

Only 880 pages according Amazon. NS must be slacking off.

I have started to troll the local library for any new Stephenson novels, I was thrilled to have not purchased Reamde. Act III was just a ridiculous battle between gun nuts that went on forever and was poorly structured; felt like it was Tom Clancy fanfic.

3 Likes

I’ve come late to Neal’s books - am a few pages away from the end of the Baroque Cycle, & finished Cryptonomicon right before that. Snow Crash is next…

…and of course this comes out on the same day as The Witcher 3! :sob:

1 Like

I’m envious of you, Snow Crash is just the funnest.