FCC Chairman: America needs more broadband competition

Separate the ISPs from the common carrier. The common carrier brings the cable to / into the house and makes sure it’s always working, they send me a bill every month. The ISP then sends the data I want over the cable, they send me a bill too. I cannot switch common carriers, therefore they are governed by different rules.If I want (and there is one available), but their bill is fairly indifferent to what I get as content (maybe bandwidth, but not content). The ISPs are then free to “innovate” themselves with fast lanes and what-not, while I’m free to “innovate” myself to another carrier (assuming something better exists)

2 Likes

I was having trouble with my DSL line recently, and looked into alternatives. Since I live in the middle of a valley, in the old part of town with taller buildings and trees, the only wireless option available is at a lower bit rate and higher cost than the DSL. Cable is also an option, but we all know how they are.

I do wonder why there are two fiber cables on the pole behind my house (not counting the cable or phone lines), neither of which is available for residential use.

It was an admittedly dry joke.

1 Like

And I suppose we get greater competition and choice by allowing mergers that further the current monopolistic model we now have. Most Americans have no choice of providers and a high percentage of users are paying for speeds they never get. Broadband is a joke and not getting what you pay for should be illegal. Not in America!

Sorry. Sometimes I miss the humor after it’s been squeezed through the series of tubes.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.