FDA rules make it nearly impossible for beer makers to give their grain to farmers for feed

They were just covered in shit and perfume.

1 Like

Grain fed cows are unhealthy, and so are the people who eat their meat and drink thier milk.

1 Like

Unlikely from grain left over from brewing as-is, thereā€™s no animal product in it. However there have been cases where enterprising types have picked up various fodder and grain, then dosed it up with stuff like blood (yes, really) to bump up the protein value. Yeah, unlikely in 99% of cases, itā€™s the remainder that you end up reading about. A lot of the regulations since those sorts of events have been about ensuring that animals are not fed to animals.

1 Like

Only corn has more different hybrids than wheat. You would not use the same corn hybrid for making alcohol as you would use for human consumption. It would have to be an animal feed hybrid, at least, if not a special hybrid for that purpose.

I would guess that wheat is the same.

Oh, I know, I know. It does seem like a likely news headline though, doesnā€™t it? (not a likely thing, note. Headline) And yes, I remember the BSE foofaraw here in the UK.

Gonna go out on a limb and say the FDA were lobbied on this one by feed manufacturers. Itā€™s a short limb since the FDA bowing to the desires of a big business to screw over a smaller one is by now a time honoured tradition.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll point out- as the article does- that this is a practice as old as brewing, which is almost as old has domesticated livestock. If it were something that significantly harms animal health we likely would have noticed by now.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not entirely sure making stuff that gets you fucked up wasnā€™t first. Fermenting berries is a damn sight easier than domesticating bolshy herbivores.

4 Likes

I get that itā€™s an old practice. But my question was how much, which is not answered. And your logic is flawed in your answer:

If it were something that significantly harms animal health we likely would have noticed by now.

The feed-lot process has been around long enough, and it significantly harms animals. Thatā€™s why only do it to them right before killing them. Fattening up an animal will greatly shorten itā€™s life, but they do it for higher weight yield.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently translating a draft law for the German government, which contains some technical specifications for materials used to maintain concrete-surfaced roads. Itā€™s not the first large translation Iā€™ve completed on this topic (and Iā€™m certainly not the only one working in this area), but this one is over 15,000 words long. Actually, this particular document only represents part of the documentation for the draft law, so either someone else is translating a similar length document about repairing German concrete roads or Iā€™ll need to work on it in a couple of weeks.

A while ago I translated another draft regulation on housing for chickens, which was similarly dense. I canā€™t comment on what they were or werenā€™t allowed to eat though, as feeding the chickens was the topic of a different regulation.

2 Likes

If there are prions in beer grains, we are all seriously DOOMED.

1 Like

It seems like this entire discussion is due to the fact that the FDA did not do meaningful research on the subject or, at the very least, never published the finding of the research done.

I bet 90% of FDA bosses have never been to a farm.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.