Biohackers making "real vegan cheese"

[Permalink]

Vegan sugar?

They do not use beef sugar or dolphin sugar like everyone? Buagh!

12 Likes

So this is vegan, GMO cheese. The venn diagram representing the potential consumers of this product looks like a moon orbiting a planet.

13 Likes

No GMO is in the final product, just byproducts of GMO yeasts.

1 Like

O, the irony of vegans tampering with nature to bioengineer Frankenfoods

5 Likes

Somehow I doubt that will matter.

4 Likes

Bones are used in processing commercial sugar.

4 Likes

Wait, so vegans are against enslaving animals to provide their foodstuffs, but have no qualms about treating unicellular life as their own little production line?

15 Likes

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

10 Likes

If they could find way to make dairy fat from yeast, too, instead of just mixing it with oil, Iā€™d totally eat it.

2 Likes

Yeast is extraordinarily resilient and is all around us, on us, and (as far as I know) in us to a certain extent. The original beer recipes didnā€™t call for a quick jog over to the local general store for a packet of yeast. Enough yeast (in a non-sanitized situation) would just be in the barrels or vats or whatever to guarantee fermentation. The quality was pretty variable but the end result of fermented mash was just about guaranteed.

In fact, you can grow your own sourdough starter today without intentionally putting in any yeast ā€¦ in your own kitchen with things you likely have laying around already (assuming you have flour, water, maybe some sugar, and a decent container).

Reason for me bringing all this up? The idea of these frankenyeasties making out into the wild is troubling. If they crowd out wild varieties, the results could be terrifying.

1 Like

Wait, I thought we already had vegan cheese. Tofu?

3 Likes

Iā€™m vegan and am not a reactionary anti-GMO zealot. The main determining factor in my diet isnā€™t chasing some dragon of ultimate back-to-Earth ā€˜naturalness,ā€™ but ethics. I avoid products containing GMO soy not because of a knee-jerk aversion toward ā€˜frankenfoodsā€™ but because Monsantoā€™s anticompetitive IP practices regarding their GMO soy seeds are unethical.

I have no problem with smart people using science to make food production more sustainable and ethical from an environmental and animal-welfare standpoint. Most vegans I know arenā€™t virulently anti-GMO, and most people I know who feel strongly about GMOs arenā€™t vegan. I donā€™t think the two groups share an identity in the way you imply.

11 Likes

Is that ā€˜ironicā€™ in the Alanis Morissette sense? Because itā€™s not ironic in the traditional sense of the term at all. Maybe it would be ironic if someone were claiming to synthesize ā€˜organicā€™ produce or somethingā€¦

1 Like

Um. Yes? They also have no qualms about eating complex multicellular life forms that are plants or fungi. ā€œNot consuming animal productsā€ is pretty much the definition of what a vegan is.

2 Likes

Murderers.

They do have a $2 ā€œTell us why weā€™re wrongā€ contribution level, so if you want to rant about the ironies of vegans enslaving yeast, or ā€œCheese, Grommit!ā€, or a <500-char parody of the Monty Python Cheese Shop Sketch, you can contribute to science while youā€™re doing so. (Or to Mad Science, depending on how you feel about GMOs and fake cheese.)

3 Likes
1 Like

I do not think I will be eating this delicious cheese. Iā€™m sticking with the kind with cheese in it.

2 Likes

Hehe. As opposed to lactose which is the sugar in normal cheese. There is no non-animal source of lactose :slight_smile:

(disclaimer: Iā€™m part of the Real Vegan Cheese project)