Ferguson grand jury decides not to indict officer who killed unarmed black teen

Fuck this. Yet another cop gets off for killing a black kid. Why juries fail to indict and convict deserves serious study and effort must be made so this never happens again. I have no faith in this system. We are failed again and again being viciously attacked. We the citizens are not criminals. They are criminals every single one.

10 Likes

Thanks to a whole lot of donors who apparently think killing a black kid is rad, Wilson has already profited handsomely.

9 Likes
  1. Authority not truth makes law.

2. Public opinion is the basis of the representation that constitutes authority in a democratic society.

3. A private review will never convince a democratic society its opinion is being respected enough to allow itself to be ruled by what is (in its mind because of the lack of publicity) an entirely illegitimate authority.

4. There is basically no reason why this shouldnā€™t inspire violence. It doesnā€™t make sense in a society structured like ours.

7 Likes

Hobbesā€¦ is that you? :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

anyone got a unicorn we can chase?

5 Likes
16 Likes

Fuck everything about this. Fuck everyone who had the chance to stand up and didnā€™t.

7 Likes

Apparently they only fail to indict when the prosecutor is indifferent, which is almost never or else the prosecutor wouldnā€™t have opened a grand jury hearing to begin with.

4 Likes

Best advice of the night. My headā€™s all 'splody.

2 Likes

Yet so many people stood up - stood up RIGHT AWAY - and every night since.

Fuck the racism, and the systems of power and authority that can turn away and act like what happened - a flat out murder by police - like it didnā€™t happen. A murder of another young black man for NO REASON - except for their racism and chronic paranoia.

Fuck the police that deliberately ran over the memorial in the middle of the street where his body lay for HOURS. Fuck the twisted fictions, and KKK members on the force, and the media blackouts, and the tear gas, and illegal intimidation of media on the scene.

This makes me beyond outraged, infuriated. If I lived in Ferguson I would be incited to full out riot from grief and rage. The citizens that have protested there have showed remarkable restraint in the face of an utterly unacceptable MURDER, in a city with a predictable pattern of murders by white officers killing black men.

18 Likes

Well, stick around. The grand jury materials will be released to the public. Then we can all take a look. Iā€™m no fan of the police in general but Iā€™m also no fan of mob rule. Sometimes, just sometimes, the white guy is not guilty of misconduct.

2 Likes

Sure, but it was odd that the press conference hardly addressed the actual justification for the shooting except for a vague reference to Brown turning back.

3 Likes

Not odd I think. It will come out eventually and they were going for calm. Justifying it would have only fuelled outrage.

1 Like

Why the insistence on always describing Brown as ā€œunarmed?ā€ Iā€™m not talking about a listing of facts here, Iā€™m talking about the word ā€œunarmedā€ in a basic description of Brown. Would anyoneā€™s opinion change if he had been armed?

Hear me out: suppose Brown had a pistol in an ankle holster, and the officer knew about it. Brown has his hands raised and is saying, ā€œIā€™m sorry officer, I surrender.ā€ Then Wilson shoots and kills him. Would all the news stories then describe Brown as a ā€œblack teen armed with a pistol?ā€

The fact is, being armed or unarmed is an important piece of information, but it is not the ONLY piece of information. What Brown was actually doing to the officer, with or without a weapon, is far more important.

13 Likes

A lot of the same people who think they are being tyrannized by the federal government are totally OK with their local municipality gunning people down in the street.

13 Likes

And who will spread democracy to the democracy spreaders?

6 Likes

This is a cathartic release of frustration which will probably do little. For change to work you need to convince the majority that it is in their interest to make a change. In the 60s we had Malcom X and the Black Panthers fueling real fears of a race war right up with a Soviet or Chinese nuclear first strike as priorities in the minds of influential people in the US. When ordinary Americans saw MLK they say a parachute to escape the race war option and took it, they werenā€™t even a bit less racist, and it was media reprogramming the next generation that made things somewhat better for us, they just didnā€™t want to see their lily white wives and daughters raped in the streets.
What can be done to fix the police culture in the US?
Where is the anvil of radical threats that the anti-violence activists can hammer society against in this case?
White society and especially police know that these days of rage burn out quickly to be replaced with the perverted order.
I donā€™t feel that we have a sympathetic media anymore to help shape the minds of the ~80%, I also donā€™t feel we have a well organized carrot and stick like in the 60s, this is partly economic and I believe the racism we have now is more of a perception of class or caste form the 1% down which definitely needs to be dealt with if there will ever be real egalitarianism.

5 Likes

Very glad this info will be released.
One thing to remember is that the action that triggered the shooting is all they were likely allowed to consider. Even if Wilson was a raging arrogant a-hole to him at the beginning of the encounter, the action that led to the shooting is what matters legally, and (according to the officer), that action was turning back and charging him after having tried to take his weapon.

My guess (and we will see) is that the testimony of the eyewitnesses (black neighborhood residents who have been understandably anonymous thus far) supported the officerā€™s story.

1 Like

The task of the Grand Jury is to look for Probable Cause, not to decide guilt. thereā€™s ample evidence of probable cause here: a body, eyewitnesses, the body 30 feet from the officer. If Wilson is genuinely innocent then the evidence of that can come out in a public trial. What weā€™re witnessing is a gross abuse of process that destroys confidence in American justice. Even if Wilson is innocent he should be thrown under the figurative bus to show there is justice.

We have to report it to Christof Heyns, UN Special Rspporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary or Arbitrary executions, get sanctions imposed, etc.

17 Likes

PDF of Darren Wilsonā€™s account of what happened, as related to the grand jury:

The way he tells it, sounds a bit like suicide by cop.

I have to admit I find the smallest piece of the story the most convincing: two guys walking in the middle of the road causing traffic problems because fuck the world and everyone in it.

Not saying anyone should have died here, of course. Why donā€™t we ā€œarmā€ policemen with better non-lethal options?

5 Likes