Firefox switches default search from Google to Yahoo

So apparently as of Firefox 34 beta 11 we’re no longer shown the icon for the search provider in primary UI. We’re supposed to go to Options/Preferences now to see and change that? If true*, that’s … not pleasant. It adds friction to the process of shopping one’s search to different providers to find the most useful results.

EDIT: * Actually, you can pick a different provider in primary UI, just not with a mouse. Arrow down in the search box.

Somewhat over a year ago, I was at Yahoo HQ for a job interview – they were hiring a lot of people for a big renovation project – and I was very puzzled as I looked around the place. It was a big campus, bigger than the Microsoft campus nearby, and everything was posh and looked new.

I was puzzled because I couldn’t think where the money was coming from. Aside from one email list I was subscribed to, I hadn’t used any Yahoo services in years, and I didn’t know anyone who did. Pretty much everything they do that I know of has been supplanted by other Internet giants, mostly Google.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.