Ghoul declares tacky grifters as "style icons"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/18/ghoul-declares-tacky-grifters-as-style-icons.html

9 Likes

giphy-611302890

16 Likes

Remember that time he did a photo op wearing a mismatched suit?

Granted, that happened soon after the time he stared directly into the sun so it could have just been partial blindness.

17 Likes

18 Likes

He wears suits with all the styling and grace of a discarded bin bag and her most famous photos don’t include any clothes.

20 Likes

An if anyone from the Trump administration is well-qualified to weigh in on style choices, surely it’s Stephen Miller. He’s been featured in Vanity Fair, after all.

13 Likes

The very few times I’ve worn a suit, I managed to make myself look better than Sleepy Don. (or is it Don Snorlone?)

9 Likes

A clown wearing a tent is a style, I guess. :person_shrugging:

16 Likes

Let’s not forget about “I DON’T REALLY CARE DO U?,” worn while visiting migrant children.

14 Likes

“Trump is an icon?” No, Steven, if you’re talking about Trump, you only need three letters, not four. There’s no initial ‘i’.

13 Likes

He’s got a good point, for example when I was looking for an oral surgeon I picked one based on hairstyle and footwear and ignored how their patients rated them or how many malpractice suits they were currently dealing with.

I mean, it wasn’t a wise choice, but . . . ummm . . .

6 Likes

Kind of like this but the suit is blue. Definitely an icon though.

3 Likes

Look, I don’t know a ton about fit and fashion. But I know Trump look like a frumpy mess in his suits.

4 Likes

Alas, while Trump’s style is admired by all, few men have the lean muscled figures they need to pull off the look.

12 Likes

Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network

6 Likes

I know this is altered, but this is what he looks like to me every time I see him. Why are his ties so long?

16 Likes

Drink Reaction GIF by Laff

6 Likes

This is actively hilarious. Trump isn’t a “style icon” even for his followers. No one wants to (checks notes) wear off-the-rack suits that are ill-fitting, unflattering, badly proportioned and involve extra long ties. That’s not a look that’s being copied, in any way, except by the people working as Trump impersonators. Absolutely no one thinks it’s inspiring, style-wise. It’s true that his style is extremely recognizable, but for the wrong reasons, and that’s not at all the same thing as being an “icon.” If there’s such a thing as an anti-style icon, that’s him.

In theory Melania could be a style icon - but clearly isn’t. I haven’t seen any discussion at all of her “style” - if she even has one. I get the impression she doesn’t have the brains or creativity to come up with her own style and just wears whatever expensive, fashionable clothes help her fit in rather than stand out. She’s not remotely a style icon because she’s not recognizable.

Somehow this couple manage to be less style icons than any presidential couple in recent history, including the ones that were completely non-noteworthy.

8 Likes

Well it’s not like he looks any better when wearing other styles of ties.

10 Likes

The theory I heard that makes the most sense to me is that he was told it makes him appear leaner if his tie doesn’t stop at the top of his gut. Being who he is, he doesn’t just extend the tie a few inches, but instead goes whole hog.

4 Likes