Giving up on saving the world

I don’t mind wearing odd hardware. Screw the people, I am far out enough of the society that I don’t feel bound by their notions of “normalcy”. Screw them and their opinions. So Oculus Rift it can be. (More likely, CastAR for augmented reality stuff, though. Not sure about full-immersion mediated reality yet.) Lighter hardware, less loading the neck and head, is however preferred. Microdisplays are a good bet for the future here; either miniature DLP projectors (like CastAR does), or LCD-on-silicon (or so); to a degree, the smaller the cheaper to make, the less material used. Optics then can make it “big”.

Not sure about suitability of haptics. If exoskeletons, then I’d go for a full-scale powered one. Hints (piezo, vibration, electric impulses) do the same job as more-force feedback ones for lower cost and complexity.

Power harvesting, from motion and other stuff, is still somewhat immature tech. Promising but so far I’d go for batteries, unless micropower stuff like sensors is needed. Self-powering is something to strive for but as of now I’d not consider it too viable.

Re more cameras and scene reconstruction: one word: telepresence! You can even scale this a lot up or down and work with a big mecha when building a bridge, or with micromanipulators when hacking a chip die, and still with the same VR setup. (Better force feedback can be actually useful here, and the cost/complexity/bulk of a partial exoskeleton makes sense here.)

The potential is impossible to not see! I am waiting for this development since early 90’s. (Actually, I think about augmented reality since I saw the Terminator 1 movie. Scary how fast the time flies!)

2 Likes