GM says you don't own your car, you just license it

This is the main reason I’ve gone off self-driving cars. I have no doubt that someone - Tesla, or Google, or MIT, whatever - will be able to figure out the technical issues involved sufficiently well to make self-driving cars at least as safe as human-driven cars. And probably a lot safer. And I’d love to own a self-driving car. My time would be far better spent chillin’ and napping, or chatting, or playing cards, or reading than intently watching the car in front of me stressing about when that moron is going to make his next idiotic move.

What I have no confidence in, though, is that ‘we’ will be able to figure out the looming DRM and ownership boondoggle. I have zero interest in the GM or John-Deere approach to ‘ownership’, and based on the way this has played out in other arenas I believe it’s going to get a lot worse before it gets any better. So in the meantime car manufacturers can go jam their self-driving cars. At least until they buy enough politicians to get a law passed mandating self-drive :rage:

Public transport, on the other hand, I view completely differently. Self driving busses and trains and trams and big-rigs hauling freight across the country? Yeah, bring it on.^

^ except … that just leads to a further erosion of blue-collar jobs :frowning: Which is why I never use the self-checkouts at supermarkets. My kids are going to be looking for after-school jobs soon, and their first full time jobs not too long after that. At this rate there’s not going to be many entry-level jobs left by then :frowning:

2 Likes