Going up the country, Canned Heat

[Permalink]

3 Likes

at around 2:50 it just about turns into an iPod ad. Great track, reminds me of driving through Sonoma

I think I first heard of it in a detergent commercial, and I’m glad I did.

Is there anything with a similar use of flute that someone would care to recommend?

1 Like

I dig it, but for the real McCoy, check out the 1928 track that it was based on:

3 Likes

Touche

1 Like

And for more BoingBoing-tastic awesomeness, someone extracted audio clips from Bull Doze Blues, and did frequency analysis in order to figure out how his cane pipes were tuned!

http://normsohl.com/Quills/Quills.htm

1 Like

For what it’s worth, Alan Wilson, the Canned Heat singer, was considered a scholar in the Country Blues of earlier in the century that eventually lead to Rock and Roll. Legendary story about him re-teaching Son House how to play his own songs which he had not played for decades. Wilson plays on two tracks of the subsequent record released in 1965. Before Canned Heat became a big act. Wilson was also known as shy, odd and, well, unbathed. He died young from an overdose of downers, probably a suicide. He was 27 (of course.)

When I was a kid I used to get Canned Heat and Hot Tuna confused with each other. It might have been because tuna came in a can and also the heat/hot thing. I still get easily confused sometimes.

1 Like

Kermit?

I believe that’s a recorder.

Nope, he’s playing it at the same time he’s strumming guitar. You can’t do that with a recorder. Those are quills, aka pan pipes. He can play them while playing his guitar because they’re in a stand.

I knew it wasn’t a flute. The timber’s all wrong.

Ah, this may a bit of semantic confusion here. The pan pipe(s) are also sometimes called a pan flute.

I prefer skillet.

When I read Canned Heat, I thought of this instead.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.