Guy Fawkes masks for people of many nations, genders and backgrounds

Andy sez, “Why should all world protesters have to wear the mask of a white guy? We made wearable Guy Fawkes masks of men and women of all skin tones.” Download them all. Diversifying the “Anonymous” Guy Fawkes Mask - ANIMAL (Thanks, Andy!) READ THE REST

“Why should all world protesters have to wear the mask of a white guy?” Well, it needn’t be a white guy, but the whole point of masks like this is that they’re consistent - that they obscure distinguishing features. Why in the world would you want to introduce new distinguishing features?

22 Likes

I feel like this kind of misses the point.

9 Likes

Errr - coz Guy Fawkes was white ?

+1 Stephen tho - the whole point is that this is a visual “I’m Sparticus!”

“The accused was wearing a Guy Fawkes mask, one of millions produced” - reasonable doubt

“The accused was wearing a stylised Guy Fawkes mask, no others of which have been seen on any of the NSAcams” - orange jumpsuit and a holiday to Cuba(ish)

5 Likes

More significantly, why should all world protesters have to wear the mask of a right-wing, ultra-religious nutjob who wanted to restore absolute theocracy?

3 Likes

This kind of broke my brain in that way where I couldn’t begin to comprehend the reasoning behind it in order to formulate a response.

2 Likes

What’s the point of anonymity if there’s nothing unique about it? How are we supposed to know who we are when we’re all wearing masks?

3 Likes

Because the mask was co-opted to represent standing up against an oppressive regime. Yes, lots of us know what it meant originally, but it’s what it means now that’s important. Kinda like how Republicans and Democrats used to be on the opposite sides of what they are now.

1 Like

Yeah, but this is more like the KKK using Lincoln’s face. He represents precisely the opposite of what they want.

They’re not. They’re wearing the mask of “V”, a comic-book anarchist revolutionary and terrorist/freedom fighter, wanting to tear down a fascist, opressive regime. Guy Fawkes, what ever one thinks of him, has nothing to do with it.

8 Likes

Yeah, agreed, @Antinous has brought this up a few times, but I think the comic book (and movie) is the way they look at it.

1 Like

If the character is ‘V’, then naming the mask ‘the Guy Fawkes mask’ for a right-wing, ultra-religious nutjob who wanted to restore absolute theocracy is even more mysterious.

Ask the Anarchist Shaman who popularized it.

1 Like

If the character is ‘V’, then naming the mask ‘the Guy Fawkes mask’ for a right-wing, ultra-religious nutjob who wanted to restore absolute theocracy is even more mysterious.

Yeah, isn’t it cool the way stuff like that works?

I just love how all these protestors of the plutocracy are using officially licensed merchandise. Pehapse the revolution won’t be televised (or at least not on CNN), but it will be bought and sold.

I’m just glad to see they represented many cultures: Africans, Palestinians, clowns…

EDIT: I think I see ancient Egyptians too, who are an important ancient demographic.

Well, in a truly high-functioning clusterfuck, roughly half of them are wearing them because they agree, and half of them are wearing them because they couldn’t agree less; but have appropriated the symbol because V for Vendetta was pretty neat.

In more stable instances of discord, you hope for a much less even split.

This just looks like bull. “many nations, genders and backgrounds” Why are they trying to sound inclusive while throwing around clown faces and ancient egyptians? It looks just like an art project that the guy then tried to justify as being deeper than what it truly is.
Classic “if we bullshit enough, people will cheer for us”.

This is like making a stickfigure brown because you felt it didnt represent you enough, even though Guy Fawkes was a white dude, the meaning has shifted, pretty much like the word guy itself, it stopped being identified as a personal name and it started meaning “any person”.

1 Like

That’s Goa’uld. And you don’t want to piss them off.

1 Like

Just make sure you don’t wear these at a protest in Canada, or you could end up with a 10 year jail term.