How games' lazy storytelling uses violence and rape against women as wallpaper

Yeah that’s TOTALLY WHAT I SAID.

It’s true that I don’t care because IMO the story is inconsequential to the game. I’m playing a game not going on an adventure. I also don’t learn my life lessons or normalised behaviour through fictionalised stories. Should the Game of Life board game be adapted to include same sex marriage? Yes. Will it be? No, because it affects the gameplay in no significant way.

^Just look at all these happy hetero couples

There are bigger fish to fry than lazy storytelling in games, like real world misogyny exhibited every day on television - a media that has far deeper reaching tendrils. I question the degree to which such bad storytelling affects me, especially compared to other media. I feel like this is barking up the wrong bush.

Flag it and shoot @Falcor a PM. Posting about it isn’t the quickest way.

2 Likes

the thing is, it’s mostly younger people playing games like hitman. the chances of a teenager in their first apartment playing “life” is fairly slim.

have to grab em’ early. see: tobacco companies.

2 Likes

So… that was me when I was a teenager and I have not yet raped, bashed or murdered anyone. The “video games affect the behaviour of youth” IS the trope.

You are misinterpreting what I’m saying. I am not excusing his post. I am not debating whether or not it constitutes a threat (it does). I am merely making a point that the definition of a d0x is access to non-public information. If a person seeks anonymity then they need to do so in a way which actually guarantees it, otherwise people can and, if you are saying things they don’t like, eventually will find out who you are.

The cat is out of the bag now. We cannot cram it back in even if we both want to. No one can guarantee your privacy but you.

i wouldn’t say that the games affect the behaviour of youth unless they spend unnecessary time focused on a certain aspect of the game such as the sexism, or the BLATANT MURDER, or whatever else your flavo(u)r happens to be.

my post was snark. this is indoctrination to the politically-correct-ocracy. people take themselves so far beyond political correctness that having sex while drunk is rape.

guess what, monkeys? you’re monkeys. better than wormhood, no?

1 Like

This user has doxed a game developer

That is slanderous. I call people by their names not a persona.

Dude… stop being stupid.

3 Likes

Okay, I get that. Nonetheless, any posts that refer to this developer by her real name need be nuked. To do otherwise allows the intimidation to stand. I’m not of the opinion that she can hide her real name right now. But I do understand what people are trying to accomplish posting it instead of her professional name. That was my point.

2 Likes

doxing? really Doxing?

someone mentioned her name on a reddit so i said it. that is public information it was posted on a site she registered which is publicly listed.

Thankyou, chellberty.

8 Likes

Some very scary threats have just been made against me and my family. Contacting authorities now.

— Feminist Frequency (@femfreq) August 27, 2014
This is the kind of crap she has to deal with just due to taking a critical look at misogyny in the media and games. To people who are pooh-poohing the harassment, please realize that there are very real consequences. This isn't academic.
14 Likes

Three points and then I’m going to let it die.

1. This isn’t a topic about Quinn. This is about Anita Sarkeesian’s latest Tropes On Women in Games. You are the only person who thought that discussing Quinn was relevant. It isn’t, other than the fact that your intimidation tactics and the misogynistic videos you linked (I watched one of them and it was clear that there was a lot of attacks against feminists including Anita Sarkeesian) are similar to the attacks against Anita.
  2. The issues with Quinn are not clear. But even if they were, the misogynistic attacks are not warranted. You and others, posting anonymously and feeling you are justified in calling her out by name, reek of hypocrisy. This is classic gamer rage. You have not been personally harmed by her, so your attacks are unwarranted. And from my perspective, many of the developers and authors I most respect have spoken out against this tactic including discussing this particular case. My suggestion, if you want to vent your rage, is take it back to 4chan. It doesn’t belong here.
  3. Shadowbans on Reddit have nothing to do with Boing Boing. We don’t care about the administrative politics of Reddit here. Discuss them on Reddit. There isn’t some secret society that controls all the major media outlets. Reddit’s policies are their own. (Edit: and since you want to talk about Reddit policies, you will note that mods don’t have the power to shadowban. Only admins do. So if people were shadowbanned while a mod supposedly talked with her, it wasn’t from the mod).
12 Likes

misogynistic videos

at what point is he misogynistic? how about a timestamp?

it was clear that there was a lot of attacks against feminists

the word would be arguments against not attacked he uses no ad hom in either of those videos as far as i know.

There isn’t some secret society that controls all the major media outlets

they know what is good and bad for them and are closing ranks for her I have the screens-hots to prove it that the moderators and gaming press are doing something similar to what the police are doing manipulating the information surrounding Ferguson.

We don’t care about the administrative politics of Reddit here

Get the truth out. Only you can do it. People will look back to this moment in time and say, if it wasn’t for @chellberty being a hero then gaming journalism would have died (at least for the bros).

3 Likes

So, what should we call you?

By this reasoning no one who is successfully doxxed has actually been doxxed, because they have failed to protect their anonymity in a way that “actually guarantees it.”

2 Likes

Aaaand once again the comments derail into the off-topic swamp of pilkunnussijat and MRAs…

My appreciations on the topic? High fives for Sarkeesian, shame for the lazy writers.

11 Likes

Receiving death threats is separate from the validity of your arguments. Jack Thompson got death threats as well. That doesn’t mean he was right when he called video games murder simulators.

Threats are a serious issue and should be denounced, but it seems like whenever Anita Sarkeesian is brought up, the conversation always seems to go the same way. Criticizing her points gets you lumped in with the shitheads who threaten her. The average person who disagrees with her is no more responsible for the threats against her as the average Christian is for threats made against abortion clinics.

As far as this video goes, I found myself agreeing with her points more than on previous videos. @regeya is right that in broader terms Anita is talking about the same thing as the Dickwolves comic: the plight of the NPC. Anita focuses only on female NPCs because that’s what she’s interested in. She’s right that female NPCs are more sexualized than male NPCs.

She points out that game writers often have a bad guy use some kind of violence against women as a lazy shorthand to establish how evil they are. That’s true, though I think it says a lot about how society views violence against men. If a bad guy kills an innocent man in a game, he’s lower down on the evil-meter than one who kills an innocent woman. In most games that involve fighting large numbers of minions, the minions will be almost entirely men. We don’t find out about their backstories because they exist to let you live in a fantasy world where you’re Batman for a while.

4 Likes

The whole time watching this, I couldn’t stop thinking of Sin City.

3 Likes

Won’t someone think of the backstories!!!

1 Like