How Harry Potter shaped a generation

I have nearly a dozen nephews and nieces, they live the length and breadth of England. And they were all the prime age (around 7-12 at the time of the first book). All literate and intelligent, and well-read.

That should have put them at the epicentre of the HP explosion.

As it is, I think one of them barely finished one HP novel while the others failed to get much further than a chapter or two.

I am not doubting the power of the HP experience. But it was not universal for that age group. Perhaps my family has a natural genetic immunity; but I never had to buy HP-themed presents for an entire generation.

Perhaps the HP-apathetics are a genuine, silent majority, that are worthy of some academic study.

1 Like

Can anybody find any actual data to suggest whether the claim, about girls popularizing the books, is true? I’m curious, not because I care whether it’s true or not, I hope it is true, hooray for girl power, but I’m curious because I don’t prefer to invest time to read long articles on very popular websites written by people who are just making up facts without checking them properly.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.