Irony not dead: Comcast claims it is Net Neutrality's best friend

All of that nosedived was through Cogent. They are no longer sending Comcast traffic through Cogent, so Comcast’s number will be up for March.

BTW, Netflix on AppleTV worked as well as it ever did through that period on Comcast. All of that traffic went through Level 3. If Comcast was trying to punish Netflix, they would have throttled that traffic as well.

This was a dispute between Comcast and Cogent. Netflix and their customers were collateral damage. The situation was fixed when Netflix and Comcast cut out the middleman.

It’s worth clearly pointing out here that Netflix is NOT the only application that has been experiencing issues through Cogent’s peering points with several providers. The bandwidth crunch at these peering points has been causing issues for all traffic passing through those specific points for many months (the first recurring complaints I’ve seen were back in June, and they’ve gotten worse since then).

It’s Comcast and Cogent’s responsibility to make sure they have enough capacity on the interconnects between their networks for their customers, and they both dropped the ball on this due to not coming to an agreement. But Netflix deciding pay Comcast for a direct connection instead of paying Cogent for the traffic destined to Comcast through a congested peering point is not a “bribe” to Comcast, it’s Cogent losing out on traffic they could be making money from.

Well said.

Once you start thinking about peering and how the internet works, you start to understand why Google Fiber makes so much sense for Google. Like Netflix, their traffic is very unbalanced. Small inbound queries generate huge outbound traffic. What they need is a few million people with high bandwidth connections pulling data into the Google network. This is just what their fiber project gets them.

@Chesterfield, @tachin1, @Nonentity, thanks for your considered replies. I pulled my original post because it felt ranty. I appreciate informational answers as what you provided here.

The thing is, there are soooo many reasons to hate Comcast. My pet peeve though is how poorly reported this Comcast - Netflix story has been (here and elsewhere). As a big fan of Doctorow’s, it makes me sad to see somebody who understands the technology and is a professional communicator, do such a bad job on this story.

Either he hasn’t had the time to look into the story himself, or he’s link baiting. It has to be the former.

1 Like

In my experience many non-nerds not exposed to the relevant source material seem to have a hard time even realizing that law/chaos and good/evil are independent, possibly even orthogonal, axes.

Look, you may be focusing on this point too much. I mean, when is anything all bout just one thing? If it really was that simple then this would have been over and done with quite a while ago. So to say that its all about peering is to ignore the reasons why the FCC had stopped Comcast and other ISP’s from throttling Netflix data on their networks.

So lets start out with these two known facts, if we can’t agree on these then we don’t have a conversation:
While the FCC had jurisdiction over ISP’s (to be clear, before it was ruled that they don’t in fact have that jurisdiction), Comcast customers were able to stream Netflix content without any significant limitations. Once the FCC was ruled to not have jurisdiction, and the net neutrality (such as they were) rules they had set were no longer enforceable, Comcast customers began to notice limitations in accessing Netflix services.

If you don’t agree this is true, and the article you previously posted, nor Comcast refute this, then please stop reading and just say so, otherwise you’re just trolling.

(From your perspective we could also reword the problem like this:
In the past Comcast was not allowed to charge Netflix and was forced to give their traffic the same priority as other internet traffic.
Now they’re not forced to treat all traffic equally so they don’t)

Please note that we are still talking about the same thing you and I, I’m just saying that with Net neutrality, Comcast could not shape traffic based on source.

Or are you saying that the timing of deregulation and throttling are coincidences?
If you’re not then why do you think the FCC prevented them from doing this in the past?
Whats your opinion on their reasoning?
(Remember, none of the things you have said needs to change for us to talk about net neutrality)

So are you saying you disagree with their reasoning? Or are you just stating the obvious, that they can throttle traffic forcing an agreement between them and Netflix so they will?
(Please remember that if what you say is true, and Netflix and Cogent were conspiring (in a sense) to abuse the deal between Cogent and Comcast Comcast did not take steps like throttling traffic or put their lawyers to work even so the courts could issue a ruling before the FCC was taken out of the picture, but as soon as they could, they affected their subscribers access thereby forcing Netflix into an agreement, this still fits within your argument)

And what do you think of Verizon’s Redbox and how would this affect competition with services like Netflix or any new startups?

See, this is all about net neutrality, Comcast held its subscriber’s hostage as a bargaining chip against Netflix.
I mean, If I was Comcast I’d have just issued a press release saying Netflix didn’t cover their bill so users would see a disruption of service. But then they would have been the ones under pressure, not Netflix.

Seems to me like Comcast might as well charge a Netflix tax to its users. Oh you want internet access? do you want the Netflix access as well? That will be extra.

Edit: I would think of even more obvious ways to do this, just throttle everything from cogent except for Netflix as this should impact Cogent’s SLA’s whithout affecting their own customer satisfaction, or maybe throttle JUST the Netflix traffic coming from Cogent which you are saying was the dispute, this would impact Cogent and Netflix’s agreement and also force them to renegotiate. I would love to know why we haven’t heard the legal argument from Comcast unless they maybe, lost it? Would that be relevant to our conversation here? I mean, why such ham fisted tactics like throttling traffic? Were they losing money? was their business model that bad to begin with? I don’t think that’s the case, Nobody has said that’s the case, you can’t possibly think that’s the case.

You and I agree entirely on your first 3 paragraphs. You’ve stated the facts as I understand them.

As you guessed, I am indeed saying the timing was coincidental. Comcast’s problems with Cogent apparently go way back. The entire thing blew up when Cogent started a campaign against Comcast trying to spin this from a peering dispute into a net neutrality issue. It was Cogent who engineered the timing.

If the situation is as you describe it and Comcast was throttling Netflix strategically, then why did they only throttle Netflix streams from Cogent? Why did they let the Level 3 streams pass unmolested?

There are a lot of ways this could have been resolved. I believe Netflix was holding out because they wanted to put a machine in Comcast’s NOC like they do with Google. This is a solution because it eliminates peering. Comcast (perhaps understandably) doesn’t want externally controlled servers in their NOC. Negotiating a peering agreement directly with Netflix is the second best outcome. It saves Netflix money, it makes Comcast money, and customers get the performance they expect.

Your idea of Comcast issuing a press release saying Netflix didn’t cover their bill doesn’t work because Netflix wasn’t buying bandwidth from Comcast. Comcast’s press release would have to say Cogent didn’t cover their bill and traffic entering Comcast’s network form Cogent is being disrupted. Because Netflix is most of that traffic, it ends up looking like it’s a Comcast - Netflix issue. The reality is all Cogent traffic (including non-Netflix traffic) was being throttled.

Here’s a link that does a good job of explaining the situation:

Om Malik reported on a Cogent-Verizon dispute last summer that sounds very similar:

http://gigaom.com/2013/06/20/verizon-that-peering-flap-about-netflix-is-cogents-fault/

Do you know this for a fact? Do you work for Comcast?
Like I said, your arguments make sense up until the point where you defend Comcast as if you were sure you understood why they do things. (Curiously, they come across as fair, Cogent comes across as a villain and Netflix as a freeloader, the view on Comcast is easily proven false since they’ve been lying about throttling from the beginning)

You’re saying that Comcast could have throttled traffic while the FCC was still involved, yet chose not to. But this was something that was precisely in dispute while there was still an organization that had jurisdiction. And once they did it, they lied about it, this is not insignificant.

The other point is that intentions don’t matter, when your ISP limits access between parties on the internet, the internet is weakened, the fact that there is no neutrality to the content being delivered makes it a net neutrality issue.
It also doesn’t matter if the people with apple TV’s aren’t affected if you’ve already affected service for the majority of your and Netflix customers, then that argument gets you nowhere, especially since the apple TV installed base will be clearly lower than the PC, smart TV, smartphone, Roku using lionshare of your audience.
You say they were not out to punish or get a direct deal with Netflix yet this was the outcome.
Just out of curiosity, but are the Cogent-Comcast troubles over then? That would be telling wouldnt it?

You see, there are a few possible interpretations of this, and the one you propose makes the assumption that Comcast is being fair with its customers and its partners, that they are not interested in maximizing profits, that the lack of net neutrality has not affected customers and will not affect competition in the future, that the fee customer’s pay does not cover Comcast’s operating expenses, That the deal between Cogent and Comcast was both unfair and legally non-binding, that Comcast is telling us the unvarnished truth, and that Comcast has not tried to hide their role in this from their customers.

Your argument that this is all about peering is simple because it relies on a lot of other factors being true. Yet some are unproven, others false on their face.

The argument I and the writer of this article are making only makes the assumption that Comcast is greedy and doesn’t care for its customers. (not about but FOR its customers) And STILL allows Cogent and Netflix to share in the blame, (Because the business dealings between companies is not what affects me and you in the long run, the matter of who owns the customer and selling access to him/her does.)

I found an even better description of the deal here:

I do think Cogent is the “villain” in this story. If you google “cogent dispute” you can find lots of times they have had trouble with ISPs.

I would never characterize Netflix as a freeloader. They don’t have their own network and I’m sure they pay a great deal for bandwidth from their providers. In fact, I would characterize them as a victim in this story.

The Comcast throttling story blew up a lot because of how successful Cogent was in spreading the story. If you look back though, there are plenty of situations where Cogent traffic was throttled before the FCC decision. Here’s a link from last summer, well before the recent FCC kerfuffle: http://bgr.com/2013/06/19/verizon-netflix-traffic-throttling-accusations/

I don’t know for a fact that Comcast won’t let Netflix put their servers in the NOC. Doing so would be the best solution for Netflix and because that wasn’t done, I have to assume it’s because Comcast said “no”.

What factors have I stated that are false on their face?

Just like we have Federal interstate highways we need Federal interstate internet. Democratize the internet in America and make it accessible to everybody: take the profit motive out of it! Give us Federally funded fiber!

For a short while I was curious about libertarianism, and joined a group on Facebook. It’s a bizarro world. One pet topic for them was how net neutrality was ‘interference’, how ‘evil’ government was making the internet ‘inefficient’, and ‘what could go wrong’ if your content provider, ISP and hosting provider were all to merge together. Ugh.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.