Lincoln's Gettysburg PowerPoint, delivered 150 years ago today

[Permalink]

1 Like

I hate this with a passion.

1 Like

(Speaking of PowerPoint, wasnā€™t it the best back in 2003, before they got rid of the (yes, actually a feature, yes actually called this) ā€œAutoContent Wizardā€? Man, that tool made adding compelling content so easy and intuitiveā€¦)

4 Likes

tl;dr of his explanation: Norvig hates Powerpoint. He created this as a satire.

As an aside, Peter Norvig is among the most famous modern AI/Machine Learning researchers, and is currently Googleā€™s Director of Research.

Much better version:

3 Likes

I have this in Tufteā€™s The Cognitive Style of Powerpoint.

That book is:

• awesome,
  • should by widely-read

Iā€™ve realized after going back to school again that most of my loathing for PowerPoints stems from the fact that it seems no one is taught how to make a good or even legible one.

For a biology class, I had to come down hard on the rest of the students in my group. They simply did not get that you canā€™t put an entire two-page paper on one slide, in neon green cursive font, over a watermarked photo that takes up the entire background.

Sadly Iā€™m not sure the professor would have seen it as a problem, as all her own presentations were entirely in multicolor Comic Sans.

I fucking hate powerpoint. Every month or two my biggest client asks me to ā€˜whip upā€™ a PP for them based on our work together. They massively overpay me for it, and I am not grateful because PP is fucking horrible and I feel shame every time I send them another truncated abortion of a bullshit thought series. The shame is doubled when they express gratitude or even delight because I know it is based on falsehood and lies.

I like moneys, but I think I lose a part of my soul every time I fire up the program. Of course, I also lose a part of my mortgage.

Power corrupts. Powerpoint corrupts absolutely.

5 Likes

needs more clipart

As you wish.

1 Like

Lincoln and meā€¦

Letā€™s go love some moreā€¦

:wink:

I like your ideas and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I canā€™t believe nobody posted this yet:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.