Microsoft non-pologizes for misleading judge, seizing No-IP's DNS

[Permalink]

When challenged, Microsoft declared that it had taken the aforementioned actions as required by its religious beliefs.

4 Likes

My anger with Microsoft is only tempered by the fact that No-IP is a horrible organization that I trust about as far as I can throw their miserable asses.

1 Like

They wanted the public to believe that it was technical error.

That “S” totes looks like Trogdor.

1 Like

I went to NoIP when Dyn.com got rid of its free service. Do you have a good recommendation for an alternative (honestly I hadn’t had any problems until the MS debacle).

[I created a duckdns account the other day, but my internet has been down owing to summer storms, and I haven’t had a chance to check it out.]

I went to NoIP when Dyn.com got rid of its free service. Do you have a good recommendation for an alternative (honestly I hadn’t had any problems until the MS debacle).

To be honest, I don’t have any comment on their current service because I ditched them many, many years ago after their software caused issues on my various client’s machines and my own. They were horrible, arrogant dicks about it that kept trying to imply all these various, disparate setups had bugs in them even though the only common denominator with them was NoIP being installed and had zero network issues beforehand.

Many of these client setups (I had never touched) were set up with NoIP by completely different IT people, yet NoIP “support” was obtuse and kept trying to blame one person for all the issues. They… just… wouldn’t… listen… and they just didn’t care. Horrible fuckers they were.

And, trying to remove NoIP used to be a nightmare for some of my clients with certain configurations and NoIP staff was incredibly dismissive and unhelpful in this regard even as their software caused major network issues that hobbled some of their businesses for a time even after the crap was removed.

That said, for all I know, those people that worked for NoIP support those years ago have since been fired and/or murdered. However, my trust for an organization that had people like this working for them is so diminished, I myself will never use them again nor recommend them.

So, if NoIP works well for you without issues in more recent times, you might as well continue to use them as long as you’re happy and you trust their privacy policy and ethics (but I wouldn’t).

But, of course, out of old spite, I still will recommend http://http://duckdns.org/ because it’s free and fast, but it looks like you’re already about to check them out.

There’s also:

https://ydns.eu/

https://dns.he.net/

More info on each here:

I’m only using No-IP because my DSL modem/router only has built in support for 2 dyndns services - dyndns and no-ip. When my grandfathered free DynDNS account went away, finally, I switched over to No-IP. I REALLY don’t want to have to run a client app on one of the PCs in my network, so I’m gonna stick with No-IP for now. It was very confusing to me the other day when I couldn’t RDP into my home PC from work via host name, but could via the IP address listed at No-IP as the most recently updated one… And now I know why. Oh Microsoft, you delightful miscreants, you never fail to entertain. :slight_smile:

This malware that “surreptitiously installed malware on millions of devices without their owners’ knowledge” what was it. Also, does this malware only effect Windows devices?

It seems to me that Microsoft sold a product with a lax security model and had that security exploited. Rather than fix the problem, MS used it’s clout to screw over a third party.

It’s certainly more different.

It wouldn’t be the first time MS forced other companies to cover its ass. I’m thinking of Secure Boot, here.

The MS business model seems to be: If you can’t beat 'em, buy 'em, and if you can’t buy 'em, then ruin it for everybody.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.