Mozilla CEO resigned

I’m a big supporter of gay marriage (or to be more exact, I don’t think the government should be involved in defining who can marry who), but this seems somewhat wrong to me. I don’t think people should be fired for their personal beliefs if they don’t affect the performance of a job – and it’s a pretty big stretch to say that giving a few thousand dollars in support of some political initiative is particularly relevant. I mean, should I be fired because I support gay marriage if, say, my boss is one of those kind of Christians?

Reminds me a bit of when Scientific American withdrew the offer of the Amateur Scientist column from Forrest Mimms when they found out he was a fundamentalist. I mean, I guess you could say that was somehow relevant, but the argument is weakened somewhat by the fact that what he actually did – i.e., the books he wrote – didn’t display any issue that prevented him them from offering him the job in the first place.

I know this won’t be a popular opinion around here, and while opposing Gay marriage is wrong IMO, two wrongs don’t make a right.

(Edit for clarification: I understand why FF would do it. The real wrong IMO is people thinking that they shouldn’t use a browser is someone working on it – or even leading it – holds different opinions than they do. FF is a big open-source project that is much bigger than any single participant.)

25 Likes