Mr. Robot Mr. Robot Mr. Robot 👨🤖👨🤖

Sorry, @neonflame, @miasm, @Kimmo . . . everyone! I was trying to do a funny post and worried that I wasn’t bringing enough funny. I deleted it with a vow to do better later but . . . well, I didn’t delete fast enough. :slight_smile:

So . . . first, I agree the show is clearly better than most shows. Way better. That’s the first thing.

Second, my nutshell reservation about the show is that it almost feels like what a “corporate conspiracy” would market to people who identify as hackers. There are narrative components that arguably negate social justice concerns even though the protagonist is presented as a sort of hacktivist hero.

His politics are mostly not coherent. In fact, one might expect the character to have very little patience with politics. Score one for the corporations.

I think he can be read as a misunderstood, asocial genius tasked with saving society and regular people though they are likely too dim to understand or appreciate his sacrifice.

What more could a corporate conspiracy ask of hackers than that they identify as isolated, asocial, sexually repressed men who believe they are unique, exceptional, misunderstood geniuses? Nothing more. It’s like the corporations have hacked the hackers with that narrative.

And the story also reminds me a lot of Chuck Palahniuk and Fight Club, esp. the parts with Christian Slater though I haven’t watched long enough yet to know how far the writers go with it. So far, they seem to have left that door pretty much wide open.

4 Likes