New and better adrenaline autoinjectors for people with life-threatening allergies

[Read the post]

1 Like

Epipen coupons seem easy to come byā€¦

That being said, there are plenty of other good benefits about this new injectorā€¦ smaller is definitely better. Carrying these around for my daughter is not fun.

Yes, the stuff degrades, but I was out camping (90+ min from any possible help) when one of the folks bit down on a yellow jacket. Amazingly, someone had a 5 year old epipen that had been left in a glovebox and saved her life with it. Probably degraded, but not ineffective.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how the ā€˜EpiPenā€™ brand ones continue to hold a 90% share?

My understanding was that adrenaline was all kinds of off-patent, and that autoinjectors(while not as widely used and developed because they are the injection system of last resort) are still a fairly mature technology. Is there a barrier to entry that I donā€™t know about, or just a lack of desire among other potential producers to enter a market that would be commodified swiftly if they touched it?

2 Likes

Drugs have a huge built-in safety margin with expiration dates. The dates they give are the dates of guaranteed effectiveness, not the date at which the drug isnā€™t good any more. Most pills can go years out of date and be fine. I donā€™t know about epi-pens, but your experience would seem to support it for them, too.

2 Likes

And you can play physics with them. The Arrhenius law says chemical reactions slow down with lower temperatures (twice for each 10K, rule of thumb). A med stored in an opaque, airtight container with some dessicant, at low temperature (fridge or even freezer) should survive with intact effectivity for ages. (Assuming thereā€™s nothing to freeze and e.g. break an emulsion or cause other kind of irreversible changes. Solid state stuff should be okay down to liquid helium.)

That saidā€¦ speculation: could an autoinjector be refilled with a betablocker, to suppress ā€œthe shakesā€ in a high-stress timing-sensitive emergency situation?

1 Like

I would be interested in a more stable auto injector. I have never ever had the need for one, but Iā€™m allergic to shellfish and going out to eat at certain restaurants makes me nervous about cross contamination. I have eaten at places where I had really mild reactions, but could tell my food was prepped in the same areas with shellfish

1 Like

This sounds like a good deal to me. Iā€™ve been told I should be carrying/keeping these things around. But I lack insurance, they expire quickly, and itā€™s pretty rare to get stung by 3 or more bees in one go. Apparently thatā€™s the threshold for me dying instead of being in incredible pain.

Iā€™ve been complaining about the size of the epipen for years. It just keeps getting bigger and more awkward to carry. I used to carry a tubex syringe with about half the volume and with a more convenient form factor.

1 Like

My immunologist had a beta-model of this thing. She told me theyā€™re recording in different languages for different countries as well. Iā€™m VERY excited to see these new injectors hit the market; that recording will save lives.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.