Newspapers are, pretty much, dead

As I don’t actually access the NYT that often, it doesn’t seem to be behind a paywall. Until, at any rate, I try to access the crossword. Sort of odd, that.

I’m not boingboing, so I’m not sure who you’re replying to. I actually have a subscription to the NYT. So put that in your pipe. Gently.

I think it was the Transmission Control Protocol because it enabled peer to peer communication, without the requirement for a middle man with knowledge of the content of messages.

1 Like

Maybe you should get news on a kindle.

I’m no longer a weekday subscriber, for different reasons, but you’re on to something. Another favoring reason – serendipity.

A newspaper is an amalgam and, if you give yourself over to it for a bit, you often stumble across interesting topics you’d never have actively searched for online. Some may regard that as wasteful but I found it to be mostly enriching.

2 Likes

I’m getting old, but not yet quite twice the age of that 25-year-old who might want day-old un-shareable news once a day, so my opinion doesn’t count for much.

But I will always want a real newspaper (the plastic/glossy ones that are available mostly now are a bit unsatisfying in this regard) with a bottomless cup of diner coffee & 2 over-easy eggs with bacon & a pancake or two on a slow morning, in a classic greasy spoon diner.

I realize already that the privilege will soon cost me dearly. Soon enough everything that I want above, in that format, will be “artisanal” (defined as “art from my butt”) & that 2-hour trip to a period between 1940-1990 will cost me hundreds.

But that’s okay, because if I got it everyday it’d kill me, & besides they’ll never let me have that experience with a pack of cigarettes again. I don’t smoke anymore but I miss them at such times.

1 Like

iirc, the new york times offers a cerain number of free articles per month(ten,maybe). And if a subscriber links to an article and you follow that link, that doesn’t count against the limit either. But if you read it as if it were your daily newspaper, instead of, say, Google news, you’ll quickly run up against the limit.

(I found myself sampling the New Republic for Ukraine news and running up very quickly against their limit. I suppose it’s for the best. It’s not as if they offered objectivity, but only a passionate beating of the war drums)

NYT used to give you three articles per day. Now they give you 1/3 per day (10/month). In practice I’ve never hit the limit, even though I have them set to send me news alerts.

I doubt Craigslist specifically has much to do with it, because Craigslist is not a thing in Germany and the newspapers are dying just as fast here.

This is precisely why I will always miss the physical card catalogs in libraries (even if they really were a pain in the butt to maintain).

I don’t think it’s a problem if they’re taking the other readers. They need to put out a good product, and they’ll survive. Where there were four, you’ll end up with one or two competing. This is when each press started:

Die Zeit 21 Feb 1946
Der Spiegel 4 Jan 1947
Focus 18 Jan 1993
Stern 1 Aug 1948

Three of the four have much longer histories. It doesn’t surprise me that Focus is failing. They’ve never had to ride out an economic crisis. I already said that I thought newer papers which tried to take advantage of lowered digital publishing costs would fail before older, more established papers.

All are weekly. The only one that looks like a newspaper is Die Zeit. The others are news magazines, so that may also be part of what is changing their popularity.No way to really know without asking the people buying.

It appears to me that NYT doesn’t/can’t track usage if accessed from a Chrome Incognito window.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.