Nikon D4S boasts 409,600 ISO

Nice catch.

I’ll just quote one amazon review:

“By Zarius on March 11, 2014
I needed a basic camera for selfies and instagram photos, this was perfect! A little hard to use and heavy, but not too bad.”

3 Likes

Sure you’re not going to use these settings for portfolio shots, but there are reasons you want to crank your ISO settings from time to time, quality of the shots be damned… @Vnend below has covered a few of them. I’m also going to throw in simple happy snaps. Just because you’re lugging around pro-gear doesn’t mean you don’t sometimes just want to capture some memories. These sorts of ISO settings mean that it doesn’t really matter if you’re out camping and its dark, you can still do that.

4 Likes

Awesome subject matter; pretty nice picture.

1 Like

ISO 409,600 would be useful in the dark of Cthulhu’s digestive tract?

3 Likes

A European or African bunny?

2 Likes

One other techie note: even in the complete absence of electronics noise, at very low light levels you’ll see a “noisy” image because you’re essentially counting photons. The photons arrive at the sensor according to Poission statistics (just like electron noise in very low-current applications), so you’ll see a grainy image not unlike that produced with night-vision goggles.

1 Like

Birders often have fancy gear and are going for shots that are just good enough to confirm species. I imagine there are similar situations with other wildlife. Also, surveillance, in the classic stakeout mode, which still happens a bit, I guess.

1 Like

Unfortunately, shot noise comes from some very basic rules of statistics and quantum mechanics, so there’s no way around it getting worse when you do this. When your S/N gets down too low, there’s not much you can do with algorithmic noise reduction, either. The only way around this is to make the pixels bigger, which means either making a bigger sensor or reducing resolution, neither of which they appear to have done.

1 Like

You know, 1600 used to be horrible. So much noise it made images useless. Now I periodically shoot at 1600 and can make something useable out of it. Pushing things out to 409,600 might make something like 12,800 useful. I don’t see why everyone’s getting on Nikon’s case for pushing the tech.

7 Likes

Yes. There is usually a high ISO NR option in in the camera, but it can often be better done in post-processing using the raw file. The NR algorithms soften the image by sort-of blending adjacent pixels according to some complex maths. The appearance of sharpness can then be recovered to some extent, but NR and sharpening algorithms essentially pull in opposite directions.

That was an impressive piece of complete bullshit.

1 Like

Absolutely. Every generation of camera I have had has improved low-light, high-ISO noise. My latest (a D610) shoots very useable images at 2000 ISO. Very useful indeed for darkly lit scenes and hand-held long-lens shots.

2 Likes

Remember that many pros are shooting for publication. Normal publication means printed halftones – or these day, on screen – which is comparatively lousy resolution no matter how you slice it.

A bit of noise may make little or no difference to that audience, and a few extra stops – as noted, being able to stop motion despite using a long telephoto, or being able to use a long telephoto handheld or one that isn’t ten times larger than the camera in order to gather enough light – may make the difference between getting the marketable shot and not getting it. (Shooting full-color available-light at night’s another possible application that occurred to me.)

Fine Artists can and will turn their noses up at it, and that’s fine; they aren’t the target market.

, What I am wondering is what the response curve looks like in this mode and how much it emphasizes or de-emphasizes particular color ranges. And how much IR it responds to.

3 Likes

Unfortunately the neutrino sensor weighs several thousand tons.

2 Likes

Yup, ISO is named after the organization. Same etymology as calling a CD-ROM image an ISO file.

It used to be called ASA back when it was an American standard.

How far we’ve come.

2 Likes

It means Nikon has has officially become the Monster Cables of photographiles.

1 Like

You misspelled “Leica”

3 Likes

Um… no.

High ISO is useful. Sometimes you want to photograph high speed action under crummy lighting conditions using a slow lens. And if Nikon’s ISO 25600 setting is less noisy than it’s competitors (the higher ISO values are labeled Hi1, Hi2, Hi3 and Hi4, implying that Nikon finds fault with them), then a Nikon D4S could well be a valuable tool.

Nikon’s 800mm lens. It’s $18,000, and it’s f5.6. It comes with a 1.2x teleconvertor, making it into a 1000mm f/8 ish lens.

What photos do you take with such a lens?

How about photos of birds in flight?

You can’t just leave the shutter open-- you’ll miss the action. And if it’s a cloudy day, you have no choice but to use a high ISO. A camera that preserves detail under such conditions would be very useful.

Of course, creepy PIs and paparazzi would also be interested in the camera. Bu advertisingt that might smear the brand more than an emphasis on sports and nature photography.

2 Likes