Hilarious review of the Nikon Df

[Permalink]

Dafuq…indeed.

1 Like

I did call it a camera for hipsters.

Still, I’m not sure why Kai compared it to the FM-- it looks more like an F3.

2 Likes

You better make it snappy and pick one up on Amazon, there’s only a few left, and how does this : “You Save: $2.99” not draw you in?

1 Like

Yea, that camera is beyond silly.
Love those guys’ reviews. No reason to trade up from my D7000 any time soon. :smile:

1 Like

I love his resonant British accent coming from such a slender guy.

Grrrr! Doesn’t anyone know how to hold a SLR?

Hint, don’t go by what you almost always see in movies and TV shows…

One should hold one’s camera they way that one feels comfortable.
What’s the problem?
These guys have been reviewing cameras (and taking pictures) forever.

oh yer new to digital rev…
welcome

I’m not buying a retro-look DSLR unless they make it look like an F.

Sardonicism with wit. Love it.

Another brick in the wall of why marketing people should simply stay away from product design.

Poor old Nikon. They just can’t quite pull it together since the F100. Sad, really.

1 Like

oh dear god. A camera thread…

2 Likes

Eh, their normal dSLRs are nice chunky bricks. Not the prettiest, but I have caught myself carrying the D7000 around just because I like holding it.

I used to work for a (school picture) photographer. Despite the fact that he had been earning a living for 25 years as a photographer, it was like he was still repeating his first year, over and over. Just as with winding cable, there are a few right ways to do things, and many, many wrong ways.

The way the camera is being held in the photo (this is, left hand finger-gripping the side of the camera) is guaranteed to deliver camera shake.

The left hand, palm facing up, cups the camera, steadying it - this force the elbow against the body, providing more stability. The fingers do the focus (and f-stop, in the old days.)
Right hand, shutter speed, and other settings, and shutter release.

When you think about it, almost all cameras are left-handed: functions requiring fine motor control and strength are performed by the left hand. The right hand performs mundane, easy functions.

I think there was an episode of Castle where Castle holds a camera correctly. One of the few times…

1 Like

The right hand is going to naturally grip it given the construction and given that pretty much no one shoots manual focus anymore, especially running around on a street, you then put your left where it’s most comfortable.

Yeah. I guess I’m mean about it because I haven’t had time - I’m a street photog in my spare minutes, which means I need small and fast. Used to landscape, but settling into the moment is a bit hard when you know you’ve got seconds to spare before being needed!

Right, it’s not entirely ideal for that - things like the completely random ISO button (second from the top in a column of inconveniently placed identical buttons, you say?) and general size and weight. I’m entirely a hobbyist and prefer less challenging scenes, so it hasn’t been much of an issue.

Still, I’m content with how it operates by touch while looking in the viewfinder; the control wheels and buttons (again, except the odd ISO placement) seems ergonomically sensible.

I realize it’s the hallmark of the Überkhül to take pride in not reading the instruction manual, (it’s a corollary of the “People smarter than me are actually stupid” school of thinking) but:
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18767
Page 31. (I’m one of those jerks that actually reads ALL the footnotes.)

I started white-water kayaking, some time ago. I learned quickly that there are lots of things that just about all beginner kayakers do, which guarantee that they’ll end up upside down in the water, robs them of control, and can put them in serious danger. Most of them are just bad habits, and are easy to correct at the beginning, given a good instructor.

While it’s not the case here (it’s just a little very easily avoidable camera shake), doing what’s “comfortable” or “natural” can sometimes get you killed.

Kai is a fairly well regarded photographer, so I think your hissy fit about how to hold a camera is a bit misplaced. If the results are good, who gives a crap?

(though his aversion to camera straps makes me a bit uneasy, especially when he starts waving a $3000 body around a large body of water)

1 Like