Pirated movies shown to prisoners

[Permalink]

1 Like

You don’t. Then they’ll commit more crimes. so they go back to prison. where the company who runs the prison makes more money.

8 Likes

So the prison officials don’t hold themselves to the same laws that that the prisoners are held to?

I bet those in jail for assault are shocked, just shocked at this turn of events.

4 Likes

Hmm been a while since I looked up Corrections Corp (CXW) and Geo (GEO). It always seemed a bit wrong to have a couple of prison companies be publicly traded.

1 Like

I just did a year in Philadelphia. I never watched so many pirated movies in my life. They’re played over the entire jail at once—including in the “bubble” where the policia hang out—often movies that were just recently released into theatres. In addition, they constantly played the most violent, crime-glorifying movies in existence, as if they were encouraging recidivism. They played The Wolf of Wall Street before it was in theatres and, get this, there were inmates complaining about the gratuitous adult content (there are lots of pious inmates).

12 Likes

26, according to the article.

He had previously done time (where, we don’t know) for selling pirated movies. This time around, he was in for violating his parole after pleading guilty to unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.

I know it’s tangential to the actual point, and I know that nobody ever likes that one irritating pedant commenter who actually read the article, but is it to much to ask for you guys to read the article before blogging about it?

5 Likes

Not even a foolish consistency can be found in the little minds that run our prison industrial complex.

He better hope that he does not go back to the same slam if this gets any traction, because “the guy who got our movies taken away” is another way of saying “public toilet and duty-punch” for the entire yard.

…because God knows one or two magazine articles sure stopped the flow of drugs into American prisons.

1 Like

If Copyright infringement is outlawed, only…

Right. Carry on.

2 Likes

So if - say - Time-Warner went into the prison business, they could be much more cost-efficient, both subsidiaries feeding eachother. Perpetual motion-picture.

6 Likes

Why hasn’t anyone filed charges against these infringers?

When I was on jury duty, waiting to be called in for a trial, I was thinking “I think this counts as a ‘public performance’ which these movies are not licensed for,” when they were showing DVDs at one end of the jury waiting area.

How do you expect for regular people to respect laws so illogical and ludicrous that the very institutions built to enforce them will not uphold them?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.