Pope accidentally says rude word, corrects self

[Permalink]

Maybe he is dyslexic, like Travola? It might be a matter of accent though. I find it endlessly entertaining when I imagine Anglo-Canadians plying the waters in motorized boots.

Also, second languages and such.

Some Italians are noting that the literal translation is ā€œdickā€ but in context/usage it is used as ā€œfuckā€.

Depends on just what the example was I guess, on whether it was a gaffe internally for the new Pope, LoL.

To be fair, the s in caso would be pronounced /z/ in a lot of romance languages, including french and latin (because itā€™s between two vowels).

Itā€™s different in italian and spanish. In those two languages, itā€™s a /z/ before voiced consonants and /s/ before unvoiced consonants.

Before a vowel, in spanish itā€™s always /s/.

But in italian, itā€™s a /z/ before a vowel SOME of the time.

lasagne = /z/

caso = /s/

Itā€™s case-by-case, and the poor^W man probably mixed the rules between french/latin/italian moreso than the spanish rules.

3 Likes

Since heā€™s speaking ex cathedra, he must be infallible, so it must have been the correct thing to say, right?

Anyway, as an Italian Iā€™d say that any Italian hearing this spoken with his heavy non-native accent wouldnā€™t even notice the slip. Itā€™s like noticing when a foreigner is speaking English with a thick accent and says something that sounds vaguely like ā€œitā€™s a hot day, letā€™s go to the bitch.ā€

6 Likes

Iā€™d have to think of more examples to be sure, but Iā€™m not certain youā€™re right.

The ā€˜sā€™ is a /z/ in both lasagne and caso ā€“ itā€™s the same sound in both words. What he (mistakenly) said was /t.ts/ ā€“ thatā€™s the ā€œpauseā€ in the double-consonant ā€œzzā€ in cazzo.*

In any case, the pronunciation of single and double consonants is a little tricky to master, as you say. Also the pronunciation of both ā€˜sā€™ and ā€˜zā€™ in the middle of words is heavily regionally influenced.

*Edit: Wikipedia tells me that this ā€œpauseā€ is called Germination

This exactly. Imagine if there were English words pronounced vuck, fug, and shid. We would barely notice when people, especially non-native speakers, got them wrong.

Um, no, heā€™s not speaking from the seat of Peterā€¦or any seat. He is quite clearly standing.

1 Like

If only he had finished with a Dre-inspired ā€œhaec nuces!ā€

1 Like

If only we could live in a world where the Pope wouldnā€™t have to worry about cock coming out of his mouth.

The Popeā€™s Penis

It hangs deep in his robes, a delicate
clapper at the center of a bell.
It moves when he moves, a ghostly fish in a
halo of silver seaweed, the hair
swaying in the dark and the heat ā€“ and at night
while his eyes sleep, it stands up
in praise of God.

ā€“Sharon Olds

7 Likes

Iā€™m reminded of an anecdote of a friend of the family who speaks Spanish as a second language, who managed to mix up ā€œcahonesā€, the word for drawers (such as in a desk or dresser), and ā€œcojonesā€, a word which literally refers to courage but which is used as cursing slang for ā€œballsā€ (as in having the balls to do something brash).

The guy at the hardware store of course knew what she meant, but couldnā€™t help teasingly responding that yes, they had very large balls, gesturing anticly as he said so and causing his coworkers to burst into laughter. The lady in question was naturally quite embarassed, grasping her error immediately, but it was good-natured teasing and it taught her a vocabulary lesson sheā€™d never forget.

1 Like

Itā€™s not his first language.

Edit: Ninjaā€™d by yourself. I need to wake up.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.