President Obama speaks on Syria

The plant infrastructure was supplied to Saddam by West Germany, later America supplied satellite imagery of Iranian positions to Saddam to help his army target the Iranians effectively.

1 Like

It’s impractical for the USA to attempt to defend Syrian civilians inside an active war zone; a punitive strike that does not change the course of the war is virtually pointless.

Rather than launching limited strikes, provide an easy means for people who don’t want to be collateral to the fighting to flee the country, and spend the money on providing humanitarian aid to those who have left.

The rebels are aligned with al Qaeda, and Assad is an unpalatable ruler, so It’s not particularly in the US interest to see either side of the current conflict in Syria win.

The best thing for the US to do is actually to let the two sides grind each other down in a state of continuous attrition; continue to prop up the weaker side until the resources of the stronger side are drawn out and expended.

In the end game, If Assad eliminates the Rebels, then at least we avoid a power vacuum. If the rebellion overthrows Assad, they will be weaker, having expended effort and lives fighting the Syrian army, and will be easier to deem them ‘terrorists’ and crush in any subsequent US/UN “peace-keeping invasion” that might be necessary. Save the weapons for that point.

Since the USA shouldn’t encourage the deaths of civilians while this takes palce, allow civilians to flee the war zone and provide support for them inside Turkey, Jordan and other neighbouring states.

Let the two sides duke it out, and then crush whoever’s left.

1 Like

You DO realize that Obama was not president, back when Saddam was gassing his civilians, ri-i-ight? Are you seriously claiming the US is not allowed to change policies, when a new administration is elected…?

If this was about anything BUT the chemical weapons, a) there would be no vote, the Marines would already be landing, and b) The planned response would be at least 5x as strong.

2 Likes

Just go to whitehouse.gov and stream it from there.

1 Like

Discriminate crimes against humanity require world superpower intervention semi-immediately.

Any other world superpower stepping up to defend against these crimes against humanity?

No?

Yo, U.S.A., let’s go, now.

Steeeee-rike one, two, three; criminal against humanity, the bell tolls for thee…

Use your intelligence, look around, eye things and decide, an eye for an eye?
:wink:

P.S. Well-played, Mr. President.

P.P.S. No matter who did this, actualized, discriminate chemical weaponization unleashed upon people is unacceptable. And we’re the mf USA, Sir. What can we do, in kind, w/o the collateral dmg? You know better than I know, Mr. President. Happy hunting…

P.P.P.S. I suggest space lasers, from space, zapping everyone involved with the decisions surrounding gassing innocents, you? :wink:

I think they are very craftily doing something that they probably should do and that benefits everyone; which they would never normally do, in a climate where everyone seems to have just had confirmed their long building suspicions that they only always do what benefits them and not everyone.

It’s kinda genius.

1 Like

This is such a complicated issue, so I really don’t know what to think if it yet. I do know that chemical weapons / wmd use especially heinous and requires a reaction of some kind from the free world. It’ll be fascinating to see how this plays out.

4 Likes

You are very wise to reserve judgement.
I often try to frame my thinking in an historical perspective. Distanced analysis and revelations of what seems secret to us provide a perspective that only a living record can complete. If people analysing events 500 years from now don’t think what you did is stupid, it probably isn’t stupid.
But this is so… Melodramatic.

2 Likes

Yes, but throwing bombs in Syria is like tackling New York’s crime problem by throwing huge rocks off the roof of the Empire State Building.

“The gang violence is completely unacceptable! Something must be done, and we’re the ones who must do it!”

“But the rocks will hit innocent passers-by, won’t they? And how will they stop gang violence?”

“There’s always collateral damage, it can’t be helped. And no, taking action will not stop gang violence as such, but we did send a signal to deter the bad guys!”

Either way, it don’t make sense.

7 Likes

Yeah but what is the right thing? If my neighbour was gassing his kids, I would have to do something about it.

1 Like

While I am not explicitly against US (or other) intervention in Syria, the long build-up to action has neutered any possible significant effectiveness a strike might have. One would expect US aims are to eliminate major chemical weapons stockpiles with surgical strikes, or to take out significant human or collateral assets, knowing the likely consequences of “terrorist” aligned rebels who may come to power post-Assad. External forces should have been more prepared to act immediately, and have lost the opportunity to accomplish anything significant.

I swear that Obama is a secret plant by the Republicans
Well, it does say “U.S. President Barack Obama ®” in the caption – and generally when American politicians have that “®” after their names…

1 Like

Why is ‘bombing the refugees and then ignoring them’ the only option we’re given?

For a couple of billion dollars (because we know we can trust our government on cost estimates) we could do something useful for them! Like giving them land and setting up ecocommunes for at least a couple hundred thousand families, or just giving them a better place anywhere that they could homestead at. Heck, we could pretty much fix Detroit and give it to them, since nobody else seems to want it.

They’ve been through hell, and they’re the most motivated people in the world. They should be given options other than ‘having bombs flung their way’, right? I know I’d want some options in their shoes.

They don’t HAVE to be refugees. They could lead wonderful, productive lives just like anyone. Instead we’re being told the only thing we can do is bomb them and destroy some of their friends and most of their things?

I’m starting to see why my wife could never bear to watch the news and loved Neil Gaiman. . . It was because he wrote realistic, comforting comedy for her, wasn’t it?

This is just so MAD. I have no words to do this feeling justice, . .I just. .

2 Likes

Oh please. When it comes to that relationship, it’s the other way around.

2 Likes

Turkey and Jordan? How is creating another Palestine a good plan?

Why not fly them back to the US? I hear there’re plenty of empty houses in Chicago going cheap.

So, what’s a person who hates the slaughter of innocents supposed to think?

Seems like this is similar to when the former Yugoslavia disintegrated, Sarajevo was under siege, and the “international community” took years before doing anything. Here a bunch of Syrian civilians are getting killed and nobody even wants to do so much as to lob a few missiles at Damascus from the safety of the Mediterranean. Suddenly, we’ve got conspiracies floating around about the US taking over the Middle East. Conspiracies about the US “doing what Israel tells them to.” People talking about how it’s against “international law” to take unilateral action (funny how nobody gives a shit about “international law” except in cases like this). People talking about how all the rebels are allies of Al-Qaeda, so we shouldn’t help them, we should just let them all kill each other.

So this indiscriminate killing’s been going on over 2 years now, with no end in sight. Drawing a line on the use of chemical weapons seems completely arbitrary, but at least it’s a call to action. I don’t want any US “boots on the ground,” but I’d like to see Assad and his government killed and his weapons destroyed for what he’s done. Because I’m vindictive like that.

Do you all think that we should all sit back and watch the mass slaughter of Syrian civilians without doing anything except wringing our hands and saying how awful it all is?

3 Likes

It’s not written in stone that we have to do anything. Military intervention has at best a very questionable track record.
Change that comes from within a population, no matter how long that takes, is more enduring.
As far as inviting hundreds of thousands of refugees into the the US and giving them a place to live is concerned, that would cause a cry of foul from all the folks already in the US who are struggling.

I say let Syria figure out it’s own solution. If the conflict leaves the borders, then we do something but only with the rest of the world.

1 Like

Ahh, but let’s think through the POTENTIAL, shall we?

We know that intrinsically motivated people are more productive at most any task that cannot be automated, true?

And we know that refugees are just people who happen to be among the most motivated and anti-war people out there, right?

So, other than outlay costs, a self governing eco-villiage or similar construct is, at the least, far more sustainable than our current pay for refugees. And put the top two together, let them self-govern and let them be creative and they can out-produce the heck out of everybody and more than make it up to us.

And once they’re self-sufficient, then they can help US out. We deserve that opportunity too, right? Why not let them lead the way and then give us our lives back, too?

At the very least, you’re right, the best option is to do nothing but I think there are better options out there for creative people. Not everybody wants to be a jerk about helping people, some of us would pay quite a bit just to NOT BOMB them!

And really, once we run the numbers we’d be making a profit.

I think maybe we should start thinking ahead, rather than repeating history over and over again.

I made a website yesterday in protest. I know it isn’t that eventful but it helped me feel better emotionally.

http://arewebombingsyriayet.com

5 Likes

Will someone tell me why the POTUS is getting approval from congress for this war? I know only congress has the power to declare war (as dictated by the Constitution) but it seems the rule has conveniently been forgotten for at least the last couple decades. Why start following the Constitution now?