Radio Shack's happier days, when it sold $2495 cellphones

Yeah. When I was there, Boost mobile just came out with its $50/mo plan that had unlimited Talk and Text. Which we sold along side shittier prepaid services like Virgin and AT&T prepaid

None of the other carriers we sold for had anything close. Sprint had a 2000 min/mo plan for ~$150 a line. Verizon had 1500 min/mo for $120 a line, and AT&T had 1000 min/mo for $99 a line. All of them charged for texts in 300, 1000 and Unlimited tiers, with unlimited usually being an extra $30.

So, Boost was the obvious choice. Except I only earned commission on postpaid Sprint AT&T and Verizon deals, and those were the only profitable deals for the company.

So I was put under immense pressure to sell a shitty deal to people who were literate and at least minimally numerate. Which meant that as soon as Boost came out, my days were numbered. The corporation set everyone up to fail and managed to stick its dick in a beehive on that one.

Not bitter… Well maybe a little bit. If only the executives could read and write and understand which of two numbers was bigger, I could have quit on my own terms, instead of being laid off due to “lack of performance”.

1 Like