Restaurant wants you to also tip its kitchen staff

I hear you, Acer. I remember in the mid-70s, I was bussing in an east coast restaurant in high school. Waiters pooled tips and we got half of what they got w/ another portion going to dishwashers and the salad/dessert maker. When we were busy - and we were - they worked their asses off. Chef and assistants were paid well enough to let it work this way. Win-win-win. Oddly, we also paid the percentage on the Visa/Amex cards from the pool. (Do you take Amex? Oh yes, but we prefer Visa or MC ;^) I guess thatā€™s a little tarnish on the w-w-w.
Cue MPythonā€™s Oh, but we was 'appy!

2 Likes

So how about, you know, mandating that restaurant staff are paid a living wage and incorporate the 20% ā€œgratuityā€ into the base price for the meal? Much less hassle for everyone and when the waiters are given a tip it is in fact for good service, not just for being there. Will also make the US experience of eating out much more relaxing for us foreigners who get confused about the weird tipping system.

4 Likes

I waited tables all through college and used to have to split the tips with the bar and bus staff. It actually worked pretty well - the waiters who gave a reasonable split with the other staff got good service from them, which translated to better tips for everyone. Those who were stingy sometimes didnā€™t get their customersā€™ water filled as quickly. I think itā€™s probably best for the customer of all staff share in the tips, or maybe even pool most of the time.

That said, Iā€™m a super picky tipper. If service is good enough, I tip 15%. If itā€™s very good, 20% or even a couple points higher. If itā€™s not great i usually go 12-14% - it sends a message without really hurting them that much, since they probably still have to split as if they got 15%. And if service is really lousy Iā€™ll tip a buck (just donā€™t leave the tip line blank!) and Iā€™ll slip the bus person some cash on the way out. In the case where both wait and bus staff are lousy, I sometimes wish I could just tip the kitchen.

1 Like

Yeah, really. I have the same reaction to those ā€œpay what you wantā€ eateries that I read about. ā€œNo, you tell me what it costs you (plus profit) to provide this meal for fair compensation for everyone involved, I cough up the money for the meal, and you make sure everyone gets paid. I donā€™t want to have to deal with figuring out what I need to pay to compensate for any below-market rate service staff salary shenanigans, nor do I generally want to figure out what a reasonable price is for your service. Just pay your workers a reasonable salary and weā€™ll go from there.ā€

4 Likes

And thereā€™s the complication:

A waiter who has found a place where a typical, two-top tab is $40 is going to get radically different tips from a waiter who works where that same tab is $100

I sure donā€™t know the perfect solution, Iā€™m only saying itā€™s complicated with the current, American, tipping paradigm in place.

2 Likes

Iā€™m totally with the non-Americans on this. Your normal practice sound exhausting to me. I eat out to enjoy a cuisine and an atmosphere I cannot easily replicate at home, not to act as some sort of volunteer supervisor lording it over the wait staff, assessing their performance and determining their pay. I tip 15-20% for table service, and a dollar or so at the bar or for counter service, because it seems fair, itā€™s in line with community standards, and I am uninterested in micromanaging workers and finely grading their effort - not to mention, untrained in such and probably poorly suited to it.

The whole practice of tipping is a burden on too many customers and, worse, there too many customers who enjoy it because it empowers them to be entitled jerks, and I am told these sorts are often poor tippers in any case.

5 Likes

I describe it in detail, but itā€™s not a process itā€™s a calculation; if the service is good, I tip. If itā€™s really good, I tip well. If the service is shabby I let it be known that I was disappointed by giving less.

Nothing is more infuriating to me than being charged 15-20% for service when the service is bad, as happens in Europe or restaurants in America with a party of 6-8 people. Iā€™d rather do the calculation myself even if it takes some thought than have someone else decide what their fee should be when the service has been bad.

Ah, but you see just like any job the ā€œgoodā€ waiters end up at places with higher average bills, and the lower paying jobs end up going to less experienced or waiters who arent as good.* Its really the only ā€œupward mobilityā€ available in the industry. Also, in lower cost restaurants, the sections tend to be bigger and the other tipped-out staff tends to be smaller, so it does even out a bit.

*its worth noting that there is rampant discrimination in the restaurant world, and itā€™s much harder for a person of color to get a job as a waiter than as a busser or runner. People of color (latins worse than blacks, imo) just donā€™t get offered as many waiter positions, especially in upper tier restaurants.

2 Likes

I totally see this in the kitchen staff at EVERY FUCKING RESTAURANT I EAT AT.

Everyone behind the counter is brown, everyone on the other side of my table is white :frowning:

Thank you for noting it!

4 Likes

As an American, I also find it quite annoying. Iā€™ve stopped going to some restaurants due to not being able to carry on a conversation without being interrupted by the staff.

3 Likes

Not that talking about it on a message board will change anything, but this is another argument for paying people fair wages instead of relying on tipping. People do not agree on tipping. Even in the US. And whether or not to tip counter service seems to be one of the biggest areas of disagreement.

3 Likes
3 Likes

To take a page out of Mallory Archerā€™s book: ā€œWell people in Hell want icewater!ā€ Tipping for takeout is absurd. Thereā€™s no service provided other than existing, which isnā€™t something you tip for.

ETA: I actually hadnā€™t thought about it that much. If itā€™s the host taking the calls and handing me my food and such, I donā€™t feel bad not tipping for to-go. If itā€™s the waitstaff and theyā€™ve got to split their time between taking calls, and waiting tables, then Iā€™d be less of an ass about tipping them.

But in the end, Iā€™m usually a huge tipper. Thing is, I work a late shift that ends at 1am. The only restaurants I go to are typically real gnarly greasy spoons. But the thing is, I donā€™t get to chat with people often, and since the waitstaff isnā€™t typically busy this time of night, I usually try to strike up a conversation. I like hearing what they have to say, and talking a little about myself.

And after Iā€™m done and itā€™s time to settle up, I usually tip 50% of the bill, because indulging some lonely pale dude with little conversational ability, in the middle of the night, is going above and beyond the call of duty, and I really appreciate it even if the food is bad, and they donā€™t notice Iā€™m waiting to be seated for 15 minutes.

3 Likes

Oddly at the breakfast place just around the corner from me which has fair enough diner breakfast food that I go every now and then they have pretty much an entire staff of latino origin at least best I can recall.

1 Like

Get used to this. American service businesses are just itching to move to an ā€˜independent contractorā€™ model, and some industries already operate this way. Which basically means, they donā€™t pay the employees, arenā€™t responsible for them in any way, and owe them nothing except four walls to show up and beg in. Many taxi companies (including Uber) already operate this way, and I heard there is a restaurant in my town that is going to be trying it out soon. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if there are other industries already operating this way that I donā€™t know about.

One restaurant in my neighborhood splits all tips between all staff equally. If I have a great lunch or dinner there, I tip as generously as I can, since I know that everybody had a hand in making sure everything was great, and everybody will get a part of the tip. That being said, I would also like to see these people just paid well, and the tip returning to a show of gratitude, instead of subsidizing a sleazy business owner who wonā€™t develop a business model that allows him to pay fairly.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll give their kitchen staff a tip: start looking for a new job cause this restaurant is gonna go bankrupt soon.

1 Like

Hereā€™s an idea. How about I pay for the price thatā€™s on the menu and you pay for everything else, including taxes!

1 Like

I ran into a bit of culture shock in Coober Pedy of all places, when I, the USian, tried to tip someone who brought takeout to my hotel room, and he was super confused. ā€œWhatā€™s this for?ā€ ā€œYou brought me food, and fast.ā€ ā€œso?ā€ ā€œitā€™s a tipā€ ā€œfor what?ā€ ā€œfor bringing me foodā€ (quizzical lookā€¦) ā€œIā€™m American.ā€ ā€œOh! Thanks.ā€

never had to argue with someone before for them to take a couple of bucksā€¦

Hereā€™s the problem: No server gives a shit what you think. You are completely indistinguishable from every cheap skate that has ever stiffed them. No server on earth has looked at your 12%-15% and said to them selves ā€œGee, I guess my performance WAS sub par. I suppose I should do better next time!ā€ They just made a mental note that youā€™re a cheapskate.

There are 3 levels of possible service:

1. Bad enough to speak to a manager
  2. Adequate
  3. Giving me free stuff

These are the only 3 levels possible, as the actual tasks involved with serving are fairly easy: Take order, carry order to table, donā€™t be actively hostile while doing so. Thatā€™s it. Everything else that ā€œearnsā€ tips fall under the category of ā€œcloyingly ingratiating yourself to the customer.ā€

7 Likes

Coming soon to Seattle $15 an hour AND they want tipsā€¦