Scientists have potentially figured out a cooking method to cut calories from rice

Um, I’m guessing shorter.

Ya! People who are overweight should not like rice! (sheesh!)

1 Like

longer times reading, doing the sudoku or contemplating the universe, whatever one does there.

That’s what my diabetic colleagues say. I don’t actually monitor my own blood sugar.

I do have a high level of trust in the person who did the potato experiment, though. She’s very methodical and reliable.

I’m doubtin’ it! OK, kidding aside, any food in reasonable quantities is healthy, if you get a healthy amount of exercise. Which I don’t, and you probably don’t, since we’re both indoors staring at big glowing rectangles.

1 Like

The very definition of a first world problem.

1 Like

Weird, it’s been known for a long time that you can reduce the glycemic load of a starch by adding some fat. I guess the news is that they’ve documented the most effective method.

The recent research with pasta that seems to have triggered lots of similar research with rice and potatoes says that heating it up again is fine, from a dietary perspective - the issues are culinary.

Reheating rice in the microwave works pretty well, reheating pasta isn’t as good a texture as the original but can still be ok, reheating mashed or boiled potatoes works ok, reheating baked potatoes is pretty lame, and reheating french fries is totally a lost cause - once the hot crunchy goodness is gone, it’s gone. Making fried potatoes for breakfast out of those leftovers does ok, though of course you’re using oil or fat which undoes any low-calorie wins you were hoping for, but the glycemic index does apparently get improved, which is good if you’ve got diabetic or pre-diabetic blood sugar issues.

1 Like

It’s not selling any different rice, it’s a cooking method issue. It’s telling you that you can reduce the glycemic index hit by making your rice ahead of time and reheating it, so if you’re fat, eating leftovers is good for you.

2 Likes

And If you’re anything like me, actually having any leftovers in the first place is something of a victory.

portion control, Smash, portion control…

3 Likes

…and we’re back to the 1980s when the only people who ate rice were hippies or poor? Obesity is on the rise everywhere.

Frankly, those of us who don’t drink HFCS or eat MickieDees and still hover on the edge of overweight could use all the help we can get. More information is good. An eyerolling counternarrative isn’t helpful if it doesn’t rise above what it claims to undermine.

You’re right! There’s no-one on this planet worth discussing who isn’t an American!

i am sure i have posted this image before, but i guess it bears repeating. the efficiencies of cooking starches for different effects is relatively well understood. breaking down longer starches (which are less digestable) and complete gelatinization (which is pleasurable palate-wise) is well known.

this graph is from a home brewing forum, but tells you exactly what you need to do ph wise and temp wise to achieve what you want. rice is a tad different, but cutting the temp, acidifying the ph, and extending the process will result in much more undigestable (but still tasty) sugars than just boiling.

unfortunately you may also need some beano afterwards :slight_smile:

btw, as a fellow who is also… may we say a touch out of shape… my go-tos include the following.

for vegetarians:

• quinoa salad with vinagrette (and add anything in season–peas, mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc)
  • cauliflower soup (saute the cauliflower, puree, then strain. add salt or stock to taste)

ooh, and i forgot, a classic cock-a-leekie soup. the variations are endless, and it can also be made with tofu, tempeh, seitan, mushrooms, etcs. but the basic idea is extremely simple. it is a mirapoix that is then built into a soup. and i promise you this has something to do with rice :smile:

in a semi-large pot add 2 parts onion, 1 part carrot, 1 part celery. about 2 cups onion, 1 cup carrot, 1 cup celery. saute with the fat of your choice (butter if you are not a vegan, coconut if you are). you don’t want to over brown, just al-dente and brightly colored.

in a separate pan grill the protein of your choice on high heat. this should achieve a good brown color. chicken will take almost no time, tofu/tempeh will be slower, mushrooms will be slowest. add to the mirepoix.

bring up with 4 cups water, and add 1/2 cup rice. add salt to your taste, and if you have fresh herbs then mince and add.

cook for 20-25 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning (salt/pepper/etc) and serve.

low calorie, super filling, and delightful. i also love using barley instead of rice, but that takes an hour.

1 Like

It’s just a shame that the only way to make rice that’s stored in the fridge palatable again seems to be to fry it.
Boiled rice cooled in the fridge becomes somehow… chalky, even if you reboil it.

It is really terrible. Par boiling is okay, but it is still just okay.

Shrug. Perhaps you didn’t read the article. Or my comment.

Steam it, under pressure. It’s still not as good, but better.

But I just fry it up in butter with eggs and whatever fish is about and call it kedgeree.

3 Likes

Finally got around to looking up kedgeree.

Thank you instant word search facility, Firefox!

1 Like

I don’t know, this still doesn’t make sense to me. Sure, people in places where obesity is rising have rice a s a staple, but they’ve always had rice as a staple, and the rise is recent. If anything, the dietary changes coinciding with the rise in obesity have been foods other than those that are customary. Also, sure obesity may be rising comparatively quicly in those places, but only because the west has already done most of the “rising” we can do…

1 Like