Solving San Francisco's housing crisis with narrow, human-scale streets

Dude, before cars and accessibility, they died.

1 Like

Yes, in many places they get wheeled from their house to mobility bus parked at the curb with a special lift. Since I’ve never lived anywhere that didn’t have access to a road within a few metres I don’t know how they do it elsewhere. I imagine before cars they were classed as “bedridden” or “house bound” and left to sit at a window and watch the world go on without them. The unlucky ones probably died.

2 Likes

You realize that there are large parts of major European cities, parts that pre-exist cars, where the roads are only as wide as this proposal? I really doubt the infirm in these areas are simply abandoned to their own devices.

You’ll also note that these proposed roads are wide enough for an ambulance or emergency vehicle.

1 Like

So you’re saying that in the parts of Barcelona and Paris where I’ve been where the streets are this wide, they abandon the elderly and infirm? Really? I call bullshit here.

1 Like

Okay, I’ll bite. France has gotten better, but until very recently has lagged dramatically

The ADA, see sections 1.2 and 1.3. http://www.ada.gov/taman3.html

Wow, there are websites with databases on accessible roads.

And Universal Access specifically calls for more road space, not less.
http://www.humantransport.org/universalaccess/page3.html

(Rude ad hominem incoming, because I believe strongly on this issue).

Alter abled are ‘humans’ too. So ‘human based cities’ should be able to accommodate them. Pull your head out of your ass.

3 Likes

The solution to the sf housing crisis is to Build Up in redwood city, San Mateo, east Palo alto, and Menlo park.

2 Likes

I live in such a city, luckily not in the area with that narrow streets. They suck. And to add insult to injury, those gloriously narrow streets feel claustrophobic.

And you won’t get decent sunlight there. Maybe for ten minutes at two days of year.

And the GPS signal sucks there too.

Unless the road is clogged with some other object. Having enough space is generally a good idea, when it comes to roads.

Not everyone can walk that well, whether permanently (health, fatigue syndrome…) or temporarily (injury, I heard those are quite common). Then there are those pesky things like hauling groceries, replacement server, or a sheet of steel. Or whatever you need often. Not exactly comfortable to do it manually, day by day.

If everybody who wanted personal space moved to Burbank, there’d be no personal space left in Burbank and we’d be back on square one.

Just get the bloody self driving cars working and be done with it…

1 Like

One last, then I’ll quit. The national health services in both countries you mention will already help the unable and infirm. It doesn’t work that way in the states, we have already abandoned them.

So, to narrow streets, you must:

Replace 40% of cars.
Replace public transit.
Figure out new novel ways of complying with the ADA.
And overhaul our health system.

I want all of those. But the dependency tree is immense, and needs to be done in stages (or agile Sprints, if you like :D)

4 Likes

How would this negatively impact those with disabilities?

People with disabilities are far more dependent on automobiles and transportation. Having access to street level parking for their transportation and being able to park in front of their homes and apts.

And it’s not just those with medical certified disability.

It might be hard to believe now…but eventually you’ll wake up with a sleeping injury because you slept funny.

And soon you’ll hear the doctor say the phrase:
“…well…as we get older”

I have this problem with most ‘bike’ centrist city planing. Because it’s mostly focused on the young and healthy.
Older people and people with disabilities are usually not even considered but the brave new young city planners with big ideas–for young people that are mobile and healthy.

6 Likes

Fatal problem - SF would never approve the new development in the middle. Lack of development approval, not lack of space, is why SF and the rest of the Bay Area has this problem now.

2 Likes

CSB: I love driving in rural England. I looove it. The narrower the road, and the larger the farm equipment that I have to emergency pass the better.

I was in Cornwall and decided to check out Port Isaac. The road goes down at something like a 35% grade, one lane (but surprise, its two!) Down to a harbor, and make a several blind turns going back up the hill surrounded by tourists. It is a horseshoe road, and very touristy.

I am not gonna brag (I’m gonna brag) but I think i am the only American who could have pulled that road off without scraping or hitting someone without prior practice.

I have gotten very good at slamming on an ebrake and reversing up hills while being pursued by combines and Lorries.

1 Like

At heart, people like the IDEA of warrens of tiny streets because they have never lived there and probably wouldn’t be forced to…unlike the poor people who can’t afford to move to Burbank. They seem romantic and appear colorful and friendly and vibrant in movies and novels. But notice that so far everyone who has commented from experience hates them.

3 Likes

I find it odd that the all the “solutions” to San Francisco tech crunch for housing involves 20th century mind set of actually LIVING in San Francisco.

Maybe the solution doesn’t depend on rebuilding the city’s structure…but restructuring corporations to allow globalization across the nation and world.

Because the perception is that if you’re aren’t in Silicon Valley…you aren’t really a contender.

The solution to SF’s housing problem is simple…stop housing your code monkeys there.

6 Likes

Eugene Oregon would love your code monkeys. Excellent university, nice airport, same time zone, and similar cultures. Plus we have seasons.

3 Likes

Ah, memories of driving down single track lanes in Cornwall (and West Scotland), meeting a truck, horse-box or whatever, and reversing 300 yards back to the pull-in spot, getting going again, then meeting someone else at the same spot. Over and over again.

4 Likes

I’ve driven all over cornwall and Scotland, but know where still gives me shivers?

(Oh gawd I am actually shaking)

Devon.

Only place where it is safer to drive at night (barely). Cause you can see the headlights. Doesn’t work for the cows though.

3 Likes

Devon?

No, can’t place it.

(not that I’m Cornish(ish), or anything).

1 Like

If everything’s close together, as higher density allows, an electric wheel chair or scooter that moves at walking pace is perfectly adequate.

1 Like

Well, since out of the two of us, I suspect that I’m the only one with a mobility impairing spinal injury, go screw yourself.

2 Likes

Except people want to live in SF, not those cities. I live in the area, I think I understand the local dynamic.