Studio gives Kickstarter Veronica Mars movie backers substandard, DRM-crippled rewards

Nope.

extrafortherequirement

Har-de-har har. Not everybody has a desktop PC, you know.

People are still needing reasons not to support these crooks? Download. Everything. For free.

2 Likes

I included this to point out the absurdity of the DRM flixster has.

Then why did you bother to a) read and then b) to respond? Your point was to let the Internet at large know you don’t care? Well, thank you for that, I guess.

3 Likes

Settle down, Beavis. I’ve never seen the show and I don’t care either way. The creators launched the Kickstarter because Warner Brothers refused to pay for it, but was willing to distribute it if funding arrived from elsewhere; that was the whole point of the story. I’m not sure where your weird conspiracy theory is coming from.

1 Like

I don’t think that I’ve seen a laptop without some flavor of video-out in at least a decade. (Having to haxx0r the firmware on your 2002 ibook to get spanning as well as mirroring was a nuisance, I’ll admit…) Though I can intellectually comprehend scenarios where people might endure pixel deficiency for the sake of portability, much as such depraved suffering unnerves me.

1 Like

You can have multiple screens for laptops too, you know.

1 Like

What kind of crazy is flixster’s client dev team on? Do they offer some sort of nonsensical explanation of this absurdity somewhere, or just crash/throw a mystery error?

Even if you were screen-scraping for video, rather than just snagging the original like civilized people, all the hypothetical attacks that would look like a dual-head system to the OS and any program underneath it would also work on a single headed system…

Is some suit somewhere really that terrified of people connecting PCs to TVs? (but apparently unaware that single-headed media center PCs, with just the TV, are totally doable these days.)

From the moment it was announced, ‘Ultraviolet’ magick-interoperable-DRM was doomed to be an utter clusterfuck; but I must admit that the real-world implementations have managed to, so far, underwhelm even my lowest expectations.

3 Likes

I read about it because I didn’t know about it. Having read about it, I realize I’m not interested and couldn’t see the value of investing in it, particularly since they screwed the people doing so. Is that okay with you, or are people other than fans not allowed to have a reaction to reading the article? Are they even allowed to read the articles, or would that involve a contribution first?

As far as ignoring things you don’t care about a) why did you read my comment? and b) why did you bother to respond?

People don’t reconsider them. Ever.

1 Like

The people who ponied up for this to be made are probably savvy enough to just download the torrent.

2 Likes

Sure. At any time I could plug my laptop into a DVI cable [it’s got a real full-size DVI port :D] and connect another monitor.

But it’d effectively tether my laptop to the desk, and I do about 80% of my computing elsewhere. No thank you.

There’s a reason they invented docks and big screens but suit yourself.

1 Like

No conspiracy theory they could have easily privately funded it. There are endless piles of meony being pushed around in Hollywood.

Manners, please. It’s one thing to disagree. It’s a totally different thing to imply someone is crazy for not agreeing with you. And then totally vain to think your opinion is so good it doesn’t need explanation.

Not sure why you’re having trouble with Flixter on Roku. My copy of the movie worked fine. I also have no complaints about the choice of delivery (which they explained. In detail) or the movie itself. In fact, I would donate again for the 2nd movie. I think they did a great job all around. Count me as a happy customer.

1 Like

Wouldn’t you rather have something akin to a DVD that you’d be able to play on any computer or any DVD player on any screen anywhere? Wouldn’t that make you a happier customer?

Since it will be possible to buy a DVD for probably around the amount you gave on kickstarter and anyone who buys it will have the freedom to play as they choose aren’t you annoyed, as a person who helped make the movie a reality, that others who didn’t help make it happen essentially get a better product for their money?

1 Like

I will get advd when they release them. Probably in a few months, I guess. It came with the kickstarter level I backed at. Also, I can watch from anywhere. I have Flixter on all my devices. As opposed to the one DVD player attached to my home TV. I have tons of DVDs that collect dust, while I watch the same content via Netflix, Amazon, etc. Sorry this method doesn’t work for you. But the notion that the vmars crew screwed their backers just doesn’t apply to all of us.

1 Like

the notion that the vmars crew screwed their backers just doesn’t apply to all of us

lol… or it does apply and you’re just not annoyed because you personally didn’t have any problems accessing the content?

Even if one didn’t have problems accessing it, surely it’s possible to see that the arguments for this method of distribution (stahp teh piratez!!) don’t stack up and only result in punishing those who’ve legally acquired the content.

The 11,008 people seeding the sucker sure as hell don’t have any playback problems… butbut how did they get the movie if all the copies are locked behind DRM? Ohhhhhhh - technically savvy people can always find a way in, thereby meaning the only people to suffer the annoyance of DRM are the non-technical legal consumers.

I have tons of DVDs that collect dust, while I watch the same content via Netflix, Amazon

Oh yeah… there’s nothing I like better than giving large multinational corporations my money for the same thing twice. You know you could rip all those DVDs and throw the plastic away, right?

Also, I can watch from anywhere.

In a plane? My .avi collection works just fine in planes.

3 Likes