Take a nostalgic trip through the "Art of Atari"

One of my fondest family memories is my father coming home from his gruelling job at the lumber mill, smelling of cedar with sawdust in his hair, with a shit-eating grin and a cool looking box under his arm emblazoned with the odd-sounding name ‘Atari’ on it. My dad was a rugged, working class, smart-ass outdoorsman, I was a shy, pudgy, perpetually terrified, and awkward bookish kid. So instead of going hunting and fishing together (I cried when the animals got hurt and nearly broke my nose shooting a shotgun the wrong way like an idiot), my dad and I spent hours laughing and yelping playing 'Combat, ‘Super Breakout’, and ‘Pac Man’ together. I didn’t realize how precious those memories were to me until I typed this post. On the verge of tears just remembering those times.

My dad, who bought the Atari on a whim and didn’t really know what it was, introduced me to video games, a love of mine that fully bloomed when I got an NES (I’m still a Nintendo zealot). I’m adopted, so I was always painfully conscious of how different I was from my family, in the ways that I did differ. Maybe that’s why I treasure getting this love of games from my dad so much.

10 Likes

That was one of my favorites! For the time, you have to admit it was pretty thrilling. Especially ‘Super Breakout’. It was the ‘Tetris’ of it’s day.

Because Custer was so heinously wronged.

Came here to post this, you beat me to it by two days. I’m glad you did cos I would have had to have gone looking for it. Nice one.

Man, you guys…

Atari racing was one of the best racing games ever made, pixels and all! I spent hours…

3 Likes

I preordered the SHIT out of this a month ago. Now that I’m finally seeing interior images I think I might need to go track down some old carts!

The ice track was fun. Also: the fact that you could just drive right through the walls :smiley:

1 Like

I have an actual theory about that, but it’s so convoluted I’m afraid it isn’t worth the amount of text it would take.

1 Like

Ice racing was the best!

I’m not particularly proud to admit it, but sometimes even today, if I find myself in a snowy parking lot with no other cars around, I find myself seeing if I still have it…

1 Like

So were any illustrators actually credited?

You tease.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.