Take a nostalgic trip through the "Art of Atari"

[Read the post]

2 Likes

The game cover art was always so cool compared to the actual game graphics.

16 Likes

In light of recent posts, its hard not to perceive this as a Jedi Mind Trick to make us all ignore what litigious bottom feeders the remnants of this once-grand institution have become…

3 Likes

I forget which game it was but one came with a small comic book that provided an elaborate backstory with a host of interesting characters.

The game itself was a slight letdown.

10 Likes

Swordquest: Earthworld came with a comic book, some of whose lines stay with me these many years later. “Kathu morus mahkto!”

It included a few entertaining mini-games, but the overall quest was a little less exciting than the comic book depicted. Walk around from room to identical room, picking up and dropping objects to see if anything happens.

6 Likes

I never understood why the nuclear defense guy wore a helmet.

9 Likes

Should read “specially commissioned to ensure that children and adults alike were both extremely disappointed by the actual graphics of the game”

4 Likes

Maybe he was heading to baseball practice once he got off work?

5 Likes

More like Spaceballs cosplay if you ask me.

2 Likes

sigh, they don’t make the cover art like that any more. Nowadays, it just ‘generic grizzled action hero with gun walking in front of explosion/fire/dead alien’ on the front.

3 Likes

Given that the room he worked in had missiles firing through it, I understand a helmet, though it seems like he should have more safety gear, really. Lots of OSHA violations there.

Perhaps the helmet design was because he was a big Twiki fan?

6 Likes

every single nostalgic button in my body: PRESSED.

7 Likes

Might get this… I didn’t have an Atari, I some how got a Sears version of the Intellivision. I thought it sucked back then, but in hindsight it was a much better system.

1 Like

Expectation:

Reality:

6 Likes

Well, that’s basically what most games are these days.

2 Likes

You expected an animated Leroy Neiman painting from an Atari 2600?

4 Likes

Didn’t “Atari” publish the neverwinter nights games?

Use your imagination, kid.

3 Likes

Even today, the graphics for jungle hunt are much more realistic in my minds eye than they ever were on the black and white screen I played it on all those years ago.

2 Likes

But who expected the game graphics to be better, really? That’s what there was, and we were glad to have it! shuffles off muttering

I would love to have this book, and also my Atari 2600 console back.

5 Likes