The difference between a white guy breaking into a car and a black guy breaking into a car

No, you are being a bully. How about you step out of a conversation that doesn’t involve you and let Gen_Mal respond or not respond based on their wishes.

Mostly because Gen_Mal’s thesis is that this wouldn’t have happened in the same part of town or if they were dressed the same or whatever when the facts shown in the video I posted earlier in this thread show that two people dressed alike saying the same things in the same location performing the same act are treated entirely differently based on the color of his skin.

Gen_Mal’s thesis is wrong and should be treated with scorn.

2 Likes

Then why didn’t you respond to Gen_Mal yourself? Why the need to pile on? Why keep it going into more posts? This is classic bully behavior. He is different, he doesn’t agree with you, his thoughts are wrong and deserve scorn. You, Banana, didn’t present facts, you presented an anecdote. An anecdote pretending to be science and one you want to bully someone over because they won’t respond to another unrelated post.

Perhaps you should read dragonfrog’s response to see how these things are done properly: [quote=“dragonfrog, post:17, topic:23434”]
I mean, if this were an actual experiment intended to derive statistically significant conclusions, with 100s of samples at randomly selected locations, there might be a point, but it’s not an experiment, it’s an illustration.
[/quote]

Oh. Science.

Gen_Mal’s thesis is wrong and should be treated with scorn.

5 Likes

First thing I thought of from my region was St. Louis, where you have (or at least used to; haven’t been there in ages) a vibrant district of shops catering to college students , which abruptly turns into a crappy neighborhood (and this being Missouri…guess what?) The difference in attitudes on one block vs. the next is, well, weird.

Having said that, I have little doubt that if the experiment were done on the same street, it’d be about the same.

Okay; I think the thing you’re not going to get in this discussion is any balance. Because, you know, you’re right about one thing: putting a white guy on a less-busy street and the black guy next to a liquor store is disingenuous at best. I can honestly speak from personal experience on this: I worked in a small town where racism was blatant, and yet, late one night, when I was heading home from work, when I stopped to tank up for gas and got into my trunk to get my MP3 player out of my duffel bag, my lily-white self was a little dumbfounded when almost the entire county sheriff’s department surrounded my car. Upon reflection, digging in a duffel bag at 1am at a gas station near an interstate may not have been the wisest decision. Acting suspicious will get you unwanted attention. Period. EDIT: BONUS: I knew the sheriff, which made it a little more surreal.

Having said that, despite my agreeing that it seems like they’re trying to force the situation to play out the way they want (and I hate that kind of lying bullshit)…c’mon. Surely we’ve all been in situations where we’ve been reminded that racism is still a thing. I know I have. Surely you have. And if you haven’t, good Lord, where does your special snowflake self live?

2 Likes

I live in suburban Silicon Valley, on a street with apartments and condos. My neighborhood’s mostly white or Mexican, with a few black, Asian, or other people. Not much crime, but certainly occasional car break-ins.

One night 10 years or so ago I was taking out the trash and saw a bunch of police across the street harassing two black men. Somebody had reported them trying to break into a car. They said was it their car, and they’d been visiting people in the apartments it was parked in front of, and that they’d locked the keys inside. No ID - the older guy’s wallet was also on the car seat. When I first got there, the cops had them pushed down on the car hood, and later had them sitting on the curb. All in all, it was about 45 minutes before the situation got resolved, with the cops apologizing to them (not very deeply) when they let them leave. (I don’t remember all the details, but I think they got the car open. Don’t know if the cops verified with the people they’d been visiting.)

I’m an older white guy, and I’ve occasionally broken into my own car. Sometimes cops have helped. I’ve also noticed a big difference between how cops have treated me when I’ve had gray hair and started the interaction with “let me get my reading glasses” than when I was a younger hippie.

3 Likes

I think it was the first car I ever had that came with an alarm. It was all pretty new and strange back then.

Maybe I’m showing my white male privilege, but why would that be suspicious?

I’m curious what the camera setup was for this video. I assumed hidden at first, but the cops seemed to identify a cameraman pretty quickly.

proof that honkies have been using race as a get-over since at least 1983:

and it was still in effect through the 1990s. ask me how i know…

(if you’ve never seen Style Wars, I heartily recommend the full program.)

1 Like

Armed robberies are not unheard of here. Thinking back, that station may have been hit a month or so before that, and the attendant may have assumed I was about to haul a shotgun out of the thing, or something. I really didn’t bother to find out. I was more interested in getting the hell out of there and never coming back.

Weird. If I see someone rooting around in their trunk at a rest stop, I assume they’re looking for snacks of some kind.

1 Like

While I do not doubt racial profiling exists, I have two issues with this experiment. Time of day that both participants attempted to break into the car and location of both attempts.

"Having said that, despite my agreeing that it seems like they’re trying to force the situation to play out the way they want (and I hate that kind of lying bullshit)…c’mon. Surely we’ve all been in situations where we’ve been reminded that racism is still a thing. I know I have. "

You’re right. I shouldn’t have pointed those issues out. I should be in lockstep with all the other people on this board and just said what should be already blatantly obvious that racism exists. Then I could pat myself on the back and feel better about myself and a little sanctimonious about other people who question the veracity of the information.

" Surely you have. And if you haven’t, good Lord, where does your special snowflake self live?"

I really don’t understand why you would include this line. If there are special snowflakes here it’s those who chose to infer I was a racist for questioning information. But then again an echo chamber is an echo chamber.

So sad.

Wow, you are really good at building strawmen.

1 Like

“Wow, you are really good at building straw men.”

Yeah, I don’t think my opinion of other’s demonstrated motives on this board constitutes a “straw man”. If anything the person who called me a “racism apologist” and mis-represented my argument was utilizing the straw man fallacy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.