TSA blows a billion bucks on unscientific "behavioral detection" program, reinvents phrenology

Probably true! At least we have plenty of unbiased, objective data showing that your solution would work consistently.

Does it occur to anyone else, that instead of comparing security measures in the US to security measures in Israel, maybe the wiser course would be to notice how, instead of our government helping to make ‘peace in the Middle East’ a reality, all we got was all their problems instead?

2 Likes

Love the subtle nature of your evaluation here! I know I couldn’t without resorting to Talmudic style hair splitting regarding the nature of Moshiach and Eretz Yisrael. :smiley: Then again I do the same when someone sees my Borsalino and asks if I’m a “Black Hat”.

1 Like

Sorry I couldn’t give you what you wanted. FWIW despite your allegations to the contrary, I did actually read the whole paper, not just the conclusion. Since you don’t regard me as a credible commentator all I can say is feel free to use your favorite search engine for yourself.

Actually, Israel profiles everyone. Ever since a pregnant Irish woman named Anne Murphy tried to smuggle a bomb onto a flight, they ask everyone probing questions, not just Arabs. As it should be.

1 Like

That’s probably a big part of why their system is so effective. If you screen everyone then you’ll be quite successful. That’s random sampling in action (probability happens to be 1, but that’s still random!).

As others have noted, the problem is likely one of scale, and I’d like to add one of threat density. Because Israel is under significant threat, they can justify the time and expense of screening every single person who comes through. In order to justify a similar level of screening the US would need to be under constant high risk threat.

Now if only they could concoct some sort of foreign policy that would bring that to be…

I essentially asked whether you had any worthwhile evidence to justify your confidence in behavioral profiling techniques. That is, I asked you to support claims you made yourself. Sorry if you thought this was an unreasonable request.

And their answer seems to be autistic people, who tend to avoid eye contact, and to fidget under stress.

I’m too lazy to read the thread - so here goes: NYPD implemented this program called CompStat. A Big Data project aimed at behavior pattern computations and analysis of crime. Supposedly It worked real nice - dropping homicide rate by 30% in NY. That begs the question - if it’s all so shiny and wonderful how did it happen that American GULAG holds more prisoners(with more coming in every year at 3 millions now) than the any other country in the world?

You are correct sir. Little Drummer Girl correct even.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.