UK cops officially detained David Miranda for thoughtcrime

I can see a sneaky non sequitur in there.

STOP! Do not attempt to influence your government. Do not promote political or ideological causes. Do not allow yourself to act in any way that may be defined as terrorism. Do not attempt to distort the meaning of terrorism from that which the government that you may not influence prescribes. Do not talk with your companions. Do not examine your phone.

Please stay where you are, and await further instructions.

I’ll be there. Left, Right, Centre, jebus but we’ve got a bad bunch currently.

To my eternal shame, I voted Lib Dem, as I couldn’t stomach NuLab again. And all we got was a deeper sense of betrayal than letting them back in would have given us…

1 Like

Yeah, they sewed the game up. It’s like consumer product branding - washing powders, for instance - under one all-controlling entity. Clegg is Cameron’s foil, keeps the nation wondering what’s going on.

Miliband stabbed his brother in the back, Clegg the Atheist sends his kid to Catholic school, Cameron … Cameron ate all the pies.

They’re laughing. They have some perfect, evil, balance at the moment.

Dude. That shit I quoted, that’s the sound of lockdown.

That’s Frank Zappa’s brick wall at the back of the theatre being revealed.

1 Like

Have you read Ken McLeod’s last book? Sans the portal fantasy plot-device (and the kind of Malthusian ending, which reminds me of an old Aldiss novel, I forget which), it’s about what our country will be in ten years. It isn’t encouraging. It is, however, horribly believable.

1 Like

Let me know when we get to the violent revolutionary notions that might do some good.

1 Like

I haven’t - I’ll check it out - what’s it called??

It would be so utterly strange to be a citizen of a fascist nation. Luckily I have an escape route, but man - things’re getting WEIRD.

That Miliband & Co don’t play the Ace of “The Tories are fascists in disguise … ok, they’re not in disguise” is particularly worrying.

This is all W’s fault.

1 Like

To be completely honest, I’m kind of glad I’m old enough that I won’t see how truly awful it is possible for it to get. I hope. Things move fast…

Greybeard.

Alex Jones is saner than your reality now.

He called the GOP and Dems ‘two management teams bidding for control of Slavery Incorporated.’

1 Like

The one star review made me angry, quite angry. Aside from that the “What Other Items Do Customers Buy” taught me that Children of Men was a PD James novel, which I ordered. Thanks man :grin:

Hyperbole aside, that is the sanest thing Jones has ever said.

1 Like

Please, we’re not on The Sun. They were both leadership material, they had a competition, Ed won (or rather, the media-anointed Blairite successor lost). Let’s leave real knives to the likes of Hazel Blears.

I was sad because I felt David was a better leader, particularly in the face of the then resurgent Blue Rinse Hair party.

I don’t think so. All about a hopelessly polluted future where the protagonist ends up assassinating someone in order to trigger a war & reduce the population. I have it in a box somewhere, but god knows where. I read so much it’s difficult to remember what’s what from week to week…

Intrusion.

So you’re saying that lawyers are as interchangeable as cups of tap water?