Unkept Promise: Anti-alcohol comic book from 1949

[Permalink]

Lol, these are giving Jack Chik a run for his money.

Or Iron Man

3 Likes

Yea, I’d like a trough of hooch. Or, you know what, maybe just a bucket to start. I think I might take off on a drinking spree, because cocktail lounges are so much more welcoming for women than the old saloons!

This one is my favorite. “Every school in the country should have a special compulsory course teaching students about the ravages of liquor!” I wonder if that course included calling the police on your parents for drinking?

Spoke too soon. This one is better:

I think I’ll have a scotch, please, neat.

3 Likes

I dunno, this doesn’t seem so unreasonable to me. But then, I grew up during the Just Say No era.

I will say that on my first glimpse of Judge Stacy, I thought, “How progressive! A female judge, in that era!” But he’s just badly drawn.

4 Likes

Taint of booze? I guess that might help clean stuff up a bit down there…

7 Likes

Yknow, alcohol is an addictive drug, and it does kill a lot more people than weed. I guess it’s not hip these days to call out the people who profit by addiction, but they do know exactly what they’re doing.

9 Likes

Well, I am all for distilling your own, but there’s a wider variety of the tastes available on the market.

1 Like

During prohibition domestic violence rates were a third of what they are when alcohol is widely accessible. But nevermind that, you know how great drinking is, all the good times, the fights, disease, poor decision making. Cheers! To getting blotto and paying the regressive tax that benefits us all so much…

That does not correspond to the actual consumption decrease.

3 Likes

Did you actually read the wiki?

I did. Decrease to third, then rebounding to about 60-70%, according to a study of “mortality, mental health and crime statistics”. A study using liver cirrhosis found decrease by merely 10-20%, as well as city-level drunkenness arrests.

1 Like

So that is still a 30% decrease! A Significant number statistically.

Or 10-20%. Which is not so significant anymore. Also consider that the lower-numbers study could have been based on underreported numbers as people may be disincentivized to report issues that could cause trouble to persons important to them. Liver cirrhosis is an indicator less prone to willful distortion.

2 Likes

Disease rates are not an accurate measure for what we are discussing.

Even following your numbers there is always a decrease. The trend is always negative in ANY study involving consequences from alcohol consumption compared to abstinence.

Denial is part of the addiction cycle…

Society-wide abstinence is pretty much unachievable. Especially given that alcohol has quite important anxiolytic benefits, in smaller doses, which is for many rather critical in social settings.

2 Likes

I am not promoting prohibition per se. But the social experiment that this country enacted did have some genuine positive effects and that is factual data. Significantly Less women were beaten, raped, and violated when abusers had less access to alcohol. It also had negative effects as it created a new criminal class around alcohol consumption, similar to what exists for marijuana. Legality is not interchangable with goodness. I am just pointing out the grey area that always exists with drug/alcohol policy.

2 Likes

Let’s wait for data for Colorado. Quite some alcohol use is replaced with marijuana use, with corresponding shift of adverse effects. Such substitution may be a “painless” way to ease the situation somewhat.

3 Likes

Positive effects? LOL! Listen, you can’t cherry pick your “positive effects” and ignore all the negative effects of prohibition. Prohibition is what gave rise to bootlegging, and to turf wars, and to gangland murder in defense of that turf. You know…same as now.

1 Like

Does it bother you to think that prohibition, with all its flaws, did still have some benefits, specifically for women (half the population), and that those gains were wiped out when prohibition ended? The popular narrative always talks about the mob, the speakeasies (sp?), and such. It never discusses the rationale for why prohibition was tried in the first place. Trying a solution that doesn’t fit, doesn’t mean the problem (domestic violence) went away. The temperance movement didn’t arise randomly, it was women seeking safety and justice and searching for a way to solve the destructive social effects exacerbated by alcohol use in our nation. unfortunately you cant change an addict, the addict has to want to change.

2 Likes