US drought now covers almost 35% of U.S., and is predicted to grow

And people are still oblivious enough to do this:

http://www.thebolditalic.com/articles/5277-enormous-slipn-slide-on-potrero-hill-today-saturday-

The government(s) could be doing a hell of a lot more to raise awareness.

I live blocks from the beach, and regularly hear people in the next building running the hose for their children to run through for about an hour in the mid afternoon. We have free busses in my area that are available just blocks from my place. Those would take the family to a part of the shore which is protected from large waves. The water wasted is ridiculous.

I did manage to get the gardener who handles our condo to stop using the hose to water. It’s not even legal to do here. We have a sprinkler system, and I got him to get it into working order so it runs in the evening.

You mean like some kind of “aqueduct” system?

1 Like

Sure, but why does everyone show me California? If there is a drought on the West coast and the East coast is getting drenched what good is a pipeline in California going to do?

How about this:

Cause that’s a map of the major oil/gas pipelines in the US. That looks a lot more intricate and expansive than California’s aqueduct setup.

What you probably don’t realize is where much of the deserts are located in the U.S. They basically form a barrier between California and the rest of the continent. Shipping water through those deserts - unless desperately needed - is prohibitively expensive and wasteful, as many aqueducts are open and suffer from evaporation. Closed piping is another form of problem as water must then be treated for contaminants from long trips in the closed pipes themselves (heavy metals need to be removed).

Again — the aqueduct is not a pipeline. The majority of it is open.

The “California aqueduct” system is only part of the system supporting California. That part of the system starts at the San Joaquin-Sacramento River Delta and moves south. California also takes water from the Colorado River, Lake Mead, other rivers, and in-state snow pack as moves it through California. The system continues into Arizona, Nevada, and even into New Mexico. The system has been built in phases with early building beginning in 1905, and The Central Coast Water Authority (CCWA) extension being completed in 1997.

Some cities in California, like Anaheim, have their own Artesian wells, and they contribute to the water source for their local community.

2 Likes

Ruh-roh.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.