Look at this animated timelapse of drought patterns in the United States from 1999 to 2021

Originally published at: Look at this animated timelapse of drought patterns in the United States from 1999 to 2021 | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I was in Texas in 2011, when the whole state basically dried up. It was horrifying. I made my own version of this map just for Texas, just for that year:
2011 Texas Drought

18 Likes

The spice must flow.

7 Likes

Is this the United States or Arrakis?

QuickVibrantBichonfrise-size_restricted

6 Likes

Hey West Coast, East Coast here.

I’ve got some rain and humidity to sell you. Cheap.

7 Likes

Whaf’s more ominous than the overall amount of drought is the increasingly wide variation.

No one worries about drought in the Sahara desert; they just don’t live there. Even if (say) Texas became a desert over the next hundred years, people would just gradually move elsewhere. But if anywhere can suddenly become a dust bowl, then no food source is reliable. So that’s a bummer.

5 Likes

It’s a 100 in the shade today with 5% humidity, rain expected in 4 months time.

6 Likes

This is why Peter Watts says the US will find a pretext to invade and occupy Canada within the next 15-20 years. Canada has plentiful water, lots of arable land, plus the military will be easily overwhelmed by the American war machine.

1 Like

Or the States start collapsing, one by one. Time to read Paolo Bacigalup’s “The Water Knife”, I think.

2 Likes

We broke the planet.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.