US Navy develops world’s worst e-reader

I don’t think the lock makes sense for this use case. If you upgrade your SuperDeluxe Pingmaster 4000 Sonar Pinger to the new 4000s model (analog-to-analog audiophile quality pings!), you have to replace hundreds of dollars worth of e-readers (costing hundreds of thousands of dollars at standard military markup rates) instead of just paper manuals.

I’m not sure the added security makes it worthwhile. (Of course, I am assuming a rational quartermaster. In reality, where the choice is between “minor changes to existing technologies to yield realistic if incremental security increases” and “entirely new and expensive technologies that yield novel security problems while creating a false sense of safety,” we know which option the government likes to take.)

At what depth does it float?
Dear cellphone; this month has been particularly harsh as jam after jam of plastic has us ‘packing it out’ heavier and heavier. One-time keys from middleweight fiction yay. Drills on Eat Pray Love in the gym yay. Notes and excerpts on other devices for extra-unreliable narrators, okay! Captain Queeg wouldn’t tolerate your milquetoast ‘content.’ (What do you mean, ‘charge’ feature?) Not having to wash it out like your audiobook reader after prognostication is priceless.