Vi Hart: cramming G+ into YouTube has made comments even worse, I'm leaving

I looked on a few of her videos. Unless I’m missing something, or unless she’s gone on a deletion spree, I don’t see the hateful comments.

And as far as that goes…surely people understand that when you put yourself in the public eye, and you give your adoring public a venue to speak to you, you quickly prove the Internet Dickwad Theory.

Not only that, but you (unfortunately) attract mentally ill people (oh, how I’d love to go on a rant about ableism on threads about unhinged misogynist comments, but I know BB would probably just block me.)

At one of my previous jobs–and this was at a small-town newspaper!–we came to work to find that the phone system wasn’t accepting voicemail anymore. When we did some digging, we found a largely-unused phone with a number of messages, most of them from this guy in Saskatchewan who left this circular, hour-long rant about the real Kennedy brothers being imprisoned under the Washington Monument. As I recall, he may have put a death threat in there, and our publisher called the authorities up in Canada. Not to get the guy arrested for leaving a death threat, but to report that a mentally-ill guy had left these schizophrenic rants on our phone system.

Other than the minor nits that will likely be worked out, I don’t get the hate for the G+ comments. By and large, they work like the old comments, except that they’re linked to your Google presence. The main problem people seem to have is that they hate G+. I mean…they’re not forcing people to use G+. They’re forcing people to have a Google account. If you have a Gmail account, if you have an Android phone, you have a Google account. I. Don’t. Get. It. Yeah, I’m seriously looking forward to this brave new world where all the current Youtube celebs all have their own Wordpress blogs. All their fans watching on the Youtube TV, tablet, and phone apps can, um, whip out a laptop now? Convenient! Thankfully, my Google account should work fine for all of their blogs.

Anyway, when I read her blog entry, I don’t see how you came up with the hed that you came up with. She’s ranting about trying to shoehorn G+, a platform deemed by many to be dead, into a successful platform like Youtube. But then, when I watched that video that Emma had posted, I had much the same reaction, but of course my “tough titties” comment is invalid as I am teh menz.

2 Likes

I would really love it if Vihart and especially the Vsauce guys would jump ship to another video service such as Vimeo.

Most Youtube content, and users, are equivalent to bathroom stall graffiti

1 Like

This is pretty much exactly what happened to me. When I want to comment on YouTube I just select my YouTube account from a drop down and I’m off to the races. If I commented on YouTube videos more often I might be worried I’d forget this step some times though.

2 Likes

One could conclude from this that people who use a service don’t want it changed, and try to avoid forcing it on them when there isn’t any real purpose. Or one could express contempt for their users, constantly adjust things without regard to proper design, and have people like Vi Hart walk. They have a right to do that with their services, we have a right to point out that’s how nice things get ruined.

So what happens to you when services start requiring it? Besides, there are more levels of vulnerability than needing an all-out witness protection program. For instance, someone might feel the need to express themselves on-line under a pseudonym, yet still have a professional e-mail account. Having what is linked to what change is serious for a lot of people, whether or not you care about them.

Right, no criticism at all - you know, for someone so anxious to defend google, you don’t seem particularly good at using it. But it is true that far more people will complain when they actually see a change in practice and can tell what it means for them than when it is just a plan explained on blogs, I’ll give you that.

I thought Vi, with the links she provided, gave a reasonable overview of some reasons people don’t want them. I’m not really sure which you don’t get; your link is only some complaints about BoingBoing censoring commenters for things like non-feminist opinions, which I can sadly tell it doesn’t do much, so I’m not sure the relevance.

9 Likes

I have about 300 videos on YouTube, mostly targeted at a civilized niche audience. Some pull in several hundred thousand hits. The previous commenting system worked just fine. I could nuke & block the occasional retarded and rude commentator, but generally spent more time responding to polite inquiries. The new system has a lot of problems. The worst specific problem is that certain perfectly acceptable comments get automatically flagged as spam, and I can’t ‘unspam’ them. But the biggest overall problem is the if-it-ain’t-broke-why-break-it problem. Goggle has done nothing to sell me on G+ other than constantly nag me to switch, and now they’ve forced me to switch. If there had been any good reason to switch, I would eagerly have done so. Call me a Luddite, but Luddites had good reasons for resisting change: if there’s no advantage and in fact there are numerous disadvantages, why embrace it? Sell me on the new service, don’t force me to use it.

4 Likes

[quote=“chenille, post:24, topic:14185”]
One could conclude from this that people who use a service don’t want it changed, and try to avoid forcing it on them when there isn’t any real purpose.
[/quote]You could also conclude that your average rando online doesn’t like change, and also doesn’t know as much about design or the motivations behind it or changes in design that a company has made as they think they do.

Or one could express contempt for their users, constantly adjust things without regard to proper design, and have people like Vi Hart walk.
[/quote]Contempt for their users? Oh fuck off. They Told you about this. They told you about linking accounts months before they did it, and they told you about this change a month before they made any sort of change. They made it very clear this was going to happen, and they made it clear the whole time they’ve had linked accounts that they were linked. This was never hidden, it was never secret, it was never unannounced.

If they just changed it with zero notice, maybe then you’d have a point. But they didn’t. They put it out there in multiple ways, the tech press talked about it, and then everyone forgot about it. You forgetting you were told, and freaking out when things change does not indicate contempt on the part of others.

There are more levels of vulnerability than needing an all-out witness protection program. For instance, someone might feel the need to express themselves on-line under a pseudonym, yet still have a professional e-mail account.
[/quote]Well no shit. Stating the obvious doesn’t change the point. If you require or wish for a pseudonym, then why are you doing anything online under your real name that you don’t want under your real name? And if you need to use your real name professionally, why are you attaching that to things you don’t want to be seen linked to your professional name? You make your choices, and you cop it sweet. It’s not Google’s job to cover your ass because you say dumb shit under your professional identity, or your personal one, or both. What’s next, do you expect Twitter to take the fall for the Ocean Marketing guy, because he was stupid enough to say what he said, where he said it?

Having what is linked to what change is serious for a lot of people, whether or not you care about them.
[/quote]No, I care about them. What I don’t care about are the people who are too stupid to realize that saying things online, pseudo-anonymous or not, might actually have some consequences. Again, it’s not Google’s job to cover your ass, it’s YOUR job. If you can’t take responsibility for the things you say, then that’s nobody’s problem but yours.

And really, if you thought your youtube comments were anything more than cheap, easily penetrated pseudo-anonymity, then you’re a fool.

And to head off the inevitable indignant objections - No, this does not infringe freedom of speech, because freedom of speech has always come with responsibility for that speech. No, this does not mean that everybody else can do what they like to you without consequences - it just means that you have the same responsibility for what you say as anyone else. If you can’t or don’t want to deal with the consequences of what you say, hide yourself appropriately, or don’t say it.

[quote=“chenille, post:24, topic:14185”]Right, no criticism at all.[/quote]Alright, I’ll cop to hyperbole, so allow me to rephrase. There were very few serious complaints, and absolutely nothing compared the absolute (metaphorical)parade of (metaphorical)wailing and hand-wringing that this has produced.

[quote=“chenille, post:24, topic:14185”]You know, for someone so anxious to defend google, you don’t seem particularly good at using it.[/quote]And now you’re trying to project an emotional state and motivation on me. If you want a response to that, just imagine an incredibly sarcastic slow clap.

And no, I’m finding very little in the way of wailing, hand-wringing, promising to leave google and/or youtube and other assorted tantrums that remotely resemble this current round of whinging. Do pardon me if I somehow didn’t uncover some amazing revelation twelve pages deep using some obscure and near-godlike google-fu.

But it is true that far more people will complain when they actually see a change in practice and can tell what it means for them than when it is just a plan explained on blogs, I’ll give you that.
[/quote]Since even I can’t be an asshole all the time, let me tell you something interesting as to why they’ll probably ignore the complaints.

See, there’s this funny thing that facebook discovered - when you change the interface or a particular functionality, people go fucking apeshit, and demand a rollback, the way they’d tell it, they’d just about give their right leg for it. They threaten to leave in droves, they talk shit about you in blogs and comments sections and forums, internet-wide, talking about the end of facebook, dire consequences, and how this will negatively affect things.

But Facebook ignores it. Completely, which would almost certainly be indicative of that contempt for their customers/product that you mentioned. Here’s the reason - Their userbase doesn’t actually drop significantly. It doesn’t even drop with much statistical significance. The dire consequences rarely-if-ever come to pass, and all the pissing and moaning tends strongly to vanish within a month, when everyone gets used to it. And people - once they get over the shock of the change and re-learn the system - get to like it. When the next change comes, they demand they are returned to exactly what they complained about bitterly in the first place.

That’s one of the biggest reasons we’re going to be ignored - because we HAVE a precedent for this, and that precedent says “minimal negative effect.” The precedent says that everybody’s dire predictions won’t come true, and that they won’t lose a significant number of users. On top of that, consider how they will benefit in light of that - despite all the negative sentiment right now, that’ll mostly vanish in a month or so(again, precedent), they will come out on top in the end. And we can’t really say it’s at a cost to us, because frankly, Google plus is the price of admission now, and we don’t complain that, say, Disneyland is charging at the gate is a cost to us, because we know that’s what you pay to get in. Don’t want to pay the price? Don’t go to Disneyland, and vomit on a rollercoaster elsewhere.

Really, it’s not likely to change, and plus, we’ve had it for all of…Four days? Three? So they’re not going to take your complaints seriously anyway, because it’s been three or four days. Give it a month or two and see how it all comes out in the long run. If I was in the habit of making bets with random strangers on the internet(and I am certainly not), I’d have a hundo saying nothing that bad will actually happen in the long run.

2 Likes

For me YouTube always defaults to my old YouTube account and Google+ always defaults to the old “real name” account so I have never had to switch back and forth (although when I am on YouTube I have the option to switch accounts).

Friends don’t let friends use Google+

ETA. Have you seen the “Guide” section on YouTube … so annoying.

1 Like

I still have not seen where YouTube is requiring a “real name”. I chose no when Google suggested that I merge my YouTube username with my real name Google+ profile, so now I have a different Google+ page tied to my YouTube account. Publicly they do not appear to be connected, although Google knows that they are related because they share the same email address. (The Google+ page for my YouTube account has Customers, VIPs and Team members as the circles instead of Friends, Family, and Acquaintances, but apparently that is the difference between a “Profile” and a “Page”.)

1 Like

It’s actually “No, but ask me every time” and eventually you will get to a screen that doesn’t allow you to proceed unless you link your Youtube channel to your public name. It might take 3 months before they get to the “delete your accounts or merge them” choice, but this is what is presented ultimately.

Speaking of projecting states - I’m not, and as it happens I have no personal stake in these two services, because I saw the sorts of changes they were making and decided to sit that round out.

But I’m still capable of sympathy for people like Vi who had invested a lot into what they were and are losing it to what, as @fuzzyfungus says, is largely a promotion attempt. Let’s not pretend the motivations of the company here are some great mystery we’re all too stupid to understand; we’ve been told their priorities and we can all tell.

And yes, I find dismissing people like that by calling them mere whiners, and saying they made their choices so nobody else should care how a change might affect them, it’s their own problem, and anyone who wasn’t ready is a fool, is belittling any such investment - which is, in a word, contempt. Google has been much more restrained in contempt than you, but still.

And yes, they might do fine ignoring the complaints. That’s what Facebook and Yahoo! seem to have stuck with, and it’s worked out well for one of them. But we all knew companies can get by only worrying about the average customer or user; I just don’t see why their profitability should be my first concern when we’re talking about how it impacts other people.

4 Likes

Is this only when you comment? I go to YouTube often, but never comment, and I only remember one request to merge my accounts. I am just confused as to why people are freaking out because I use YouTube a lot and none of it is happening to me. I refused to merge my accounts, so Google automatically created a Google+ page and tied it to my YouTube account. Unlike Google+ profiles, Google+ pages do not have a real name policy. Right now I do not even have to the option to merge my accounts.

Why are you spending so much time defending a completely pointless change? And in fact, a change that makes things worse, at least in the short run. Short-term pain for no long-term gain? Weird.

1 Like

That’d be funny if the new bbs did not rock like it does.

I’m not sure that there is any actual evidence that anything about your first point is true. Is it even possible to realistically count G+ growth, considering how many of it’s accounts are automatically created and then never used by an actual person? Even DESPITE all that artificial stat inflation, QZone still has a lead on them last I checked by pure “number of accounts” - and I guarantee that a lot more of QZone’s accounts are actually real and used.

If only there was another place users could have their videos hosted on the internet! Curses! Who has let this You Tube have such a monopoly on the idea?

How is this video related to the topic on hand? Couldn’t watch more than two lines of that “musical”.

I do, always have. It’s only due to an problem with twitter that I use my reverted name as a nick.

Frankly, I tend not to get in lengthy discussions with pseudonym users, because it’s as much of a waste of time was discussing with strangers in pubs.

Yeah, my YouTube accounts and Google ID are separate. When the connection was first hinted at I just said no wherever possible.

1 Like

Which is why ‘hiding all the buttons and generally fucking with things’ shouldn’t be a valid career choice in IT. But it is.

1 Like