Watch a WWII plane pick up a man and a sheep while flying at full speed

You know if they release the hook at just the right moment this could be a powerful new weapon.

1 Like

It was used in the ending of Thunderball.

Yeah, those close-ups were totally not shot in a swimming pool.

1 Like

Also used to get a bad guy out of Hong Kong in one of the Batman movies, I think.

2 Likes

Actually the OP video looks a little different - like maybe there’s a line erected by the downed pilot between those poles, and the rescue plane has a tailhook. Maybe it’s a prototype of the Fulton system, which uses a balloon so the plane doesn’t have to come in down low.

Correct. That’s why my comment says “was further developed into”. The earlier system is referenced in the linked wikipidia article.

He says you always vomit.

YES!

I really want to have more sympathy for the sheep, but that perfect silhouette of his pudgy body and legs as he sped off toward the horizon was genuinely Far Side funny.

2 Likes

That is pretty damn cool. Also reminds me of how a family member of mine used to land planes on boats.

2 Likes

The first operational use of the Fulton Skyhook is described in Project COLDFEET: Secret Mission to a Soviet Ice Station. It describes a scheme to parachute two agents onto an abandoned Soviet base on an ice floe, then retrieve them with the Skyhook. It got kind of dicey at the end, with one of the agents being pulled across the ice by the balloon in high winds.

1 Like

Oh I see - sorry, missed that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.