Watch: tone-deaf manager announces layoffs to 1400 Carrier Air Conditioner workers whose jobs are moving to Mexico

Gotta stay “competitive”!

Right. All on the backs of its workers.

Makes me think the workers have some kind of right to just take over the business that they played the main part in building.

9 Likes

This is why I always carry a rotten tomato in my pocket.

11 Likes

It makes me wonder … If employers didn’t need to pay for their employees’ heathcare would moving to Mecico be any less attractive?

aaaaand this is why you need syndicates.

1 Like

Man, I got unexpectedly choked-up while watching the video. They sent the wrong messenger to deliver the news. Some semblance of empathy would have been nice. This chooch came off sounding like a substitute teacher uncomfortably announcing a homework assignment. My initial thought was “I’m glad my home’s central air unit is made by Trane instead of Carrier” but then Google showed me that my Trane unit is also made in Monterray, Mexico. I guess Perot was right about that giant sucking sound.

8 Likes

“This shit is personal, and i campainged for months so that you’d all lose your jobs, especially you, Anderson. you’re such a dick.”

4 Likes

I thought COOL was threatened by WTO tariffs based on NAFTA. So not only has congress stopped using one of their first duties, to impose tariffs, and the main source of federal tax before it switched to income tax, they have given trade organizations the ‘right’ to impose tariffs against nations including heir own. It is the depth of neoliberal absurdity.

1 Like

The only better layoff notification I have seen is where the boss, Rick, called all of the employees together and announced the closing. Then he said:

“You are probably wondering what will happen to Rick, don’t worry. I will be all right.”

We all just sat there and looked at each other. That was just what a bunch of new unemployees want to hear. That their rich boss will be alright.

That was the most unbelievable thing I have seen.

4 Likes

Why do I suddenly see the number of warranty claims on goods made at this particular plant suddenly taking a rise sometime in the near future?

4 Likes

Roger Fucking That!

1 Like

why stop there? if they didn’t pay the employees at all and cut safety corners and chained them to their workstations it would lower costs as well. Glad that some people care about how people are treated and their basic well being and rights.

There are other more humane things they could have done to stay in business, cutting costs is never the only choice. Businesses don’t have to race to the bottom of the barrel making ever cheaper and crappier products. Only businesses trying to extract maximum SHORT TERM profit for the shareholders typically take such a short sighted approach at the expense of the employees and the customers.

4 Likes

That is a funny term, or would be if it weren’t so sad.

4 Likes

Let me rephrase. If the U.S. did not rely on employers to foot the bill for medical insurance and instead it was provided automatically by virtue of being here, would there still be an incentive to move to Mexico.

8 Likes

Forget for a moment about the actual tone deaf messaging… If I were corporate, I would watch this and immediately start questioning any cost-based reporting coming from anyone in that management chain. Who knows, that management team could be responsible for driving bad practices driving up costs, which I believe would be why they were moving the site.

But, guess what, corps don’t admit bad mistakes because shareholders… Yea this guy is a twat, but he and his kin could be the twats that caused this decision to be made, which is just worse since he’ll be viewed as just a tone-deaf successful manager.

1 Like

He tells them they aren’t being immediately fired, that the layoffs will only start in mid-2017.

That’s to benefit the company.

Starting fairly soon, if the workers want to stay with the company, they’ll be training their foreign counterparts that will be replacing them.

It’s like your captor saying “I’m not going to kill you now. I’m going to kill you slowly, very slowly, over the course of the next 18 months.”

6 Likes

It’s cheaper for US car companies to build cars in Canada than the US because they don’t have to pay employee healthcare costs. Making it cheaper to hire US workers doesn’t mean that conditions get worse for workers.

This sucks for the people in Indiana, but depending on which part of Mexico Carrier is relocating to, it could do a lot of good too.

More businesses should be worker owned… Bob’s Red Mill is employee owned now:

As is King Arthur Flour company:

18 Likes

That’s the good stuff too!

10 Likes

Yep. And King Arthur’s flour is excellent too.

13 Likes

I guess they decided to let the workers REALLY make some bread!

(Hmm, there’s gotta be an even better joke in there somewhere…)

12 Likes